Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Measuring the roughness of surfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

jam21

hello

I am currently working on a finial year project. I need a way of measuring the roughness of surfaces, I think its best to use ultrasonic`s and back-scattered echoes????

But I am not to sure???

Can anybody help with any ideas, link, or schematics???

Thanks for looking

You dont define roughness.
Are we talking about the microscopic asperities on finely machined piece of metal or the surface of a ploughed field?

To see if ultrasonics would work, I think you need to consider the wavelength of the sound and compare it with the size of the "humpy bumpy bits" you are trying to measure. The wavelength will need to be small in comparison.

Hint, do a google search for "tallysurf".

JimB

You also need to define some requirements of the sensor. Can it actually touch the surface? I think a sliding sensor dragged along the surface would be pretty decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back