Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Measuring the real draw, Help the newbie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireDanMB

Greetings from Myrtle Beach..
As the DE facto (but not paid for) IT guy at the golf course I work at, I have also been nominated to implement a wireless security cam setup near our pool ( we have a few local kids that decided it would be fun to crap in the pool every so often in the middle of the night, or throw in the poolside chairs & table {which are concrete})
No problem for me in setting up the IP wireless cams, router, DVR & recording software. My problem is powering the cameras themselves. As the cams will be mounted on existing QI light poles *approx 20 ft high), my first option for power would be to have an electrician 'tap in' the the lighting circuit and install a socket for the cam's power supply. Not sure how this can be accomplished without taking the pole down to due the installation.

Sorry to be so long winded, but I figure too much info is better then too little.

Second option would be to construct a solar power set up. I know they sell these as complete camera/solar panel arrays, but I forgot to mention our GM wants to keep the cost below $600 (yep a real cheapskate) for the entire system. What the hell, I figure with some chewing gum and bailing wire I can build one even if I don't know what I'm doing..

So here's my question.. The power supply for the camera is 12 V 1 amp.. how can I determine the actual draw of the camera so I can find a battery that will supply power throughout the night?

Thank you gentlemen for putting up with my verbosity

I'd probably shoot from the hip with a 12V 10Ah lead acid battery and one of the basic 15W solar panels intended for charging batteries.

https://www.harborfreight.com/15-watt-12-volt-solar-panel-96418.html

My guess is that the real power of the camera is likely between 250mA and 750mA. Assuming 500mA, 10Ah will go for 20 hours without a charge. In good sun, the solar panel will charge it in 8 hours.

To measure the actual current draw, you need a multimeter and an extension cable with the same male and female (probably coaxial) connectors at either end.

If the multimeter has an amperage function, you cut one wire and put the meter in series with the 12V or ground line.

If it doesn't solder a 1 ohm 1 Watt resistor in series with one wire and measure the voltage across it. 1V = 1A.

Thanks for the response. Your numbers look pretty solid. In lieu of stripping wires prematurely, I've emailed the camera manufacturer in hopes they have the actual numbers. I also found 2 vids on Utube of solar cams being built https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81FzRyh2B_8 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXskMJ4G008 the big difference being in the batteries they selected, from fairly low end to high end..
I'll have to see what the GM says when I tell him he needs to add $200 - $400 to the project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back