Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

measuring the Frequency Response of a cellphone speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, you'd be surprised how good even less than 5 watts can sound in the right enclosure.

shine, you may just be working with crap audio... Have you played this back on a decent sound system to find out if it's the clip itself? re-recording the MP3 may help, it could just be a really low bitrate one, no matter what you do it's gonna sound like crud. Most modern cell phones can play back 192khz mp3 files, some better.

Audio source is normal quality, 192kbps mp3. But I re-encode it to 128kbps, it's quite enough for phone.
The issue related with audio spectrum of a specific audio clip.

See if your tiny speaker can produce the 16Hz heart-beats at the beginning of The Dark Side of the Moon song by Pink Floyd (1973).
My 3"/4W computer speakers are playing it quite well right now.

Get the spectrum analyzer I mentioned, use some audio software to create a test tone play the test tone back and see what kind of an EQ band you have, you can start with that, not sure how much it will help with all frequencies, as stated the speaker in that enclosure simply won't be able to produce some frequencies properly. Basically, you need to pick music that fits the profile of the speakers ability. equalizing will only go so far.

I tried DL4YHF's Spectrum Lab, but find it's not user-friendly, user interface contain vast quantities of various settings, but have no tooltips over various parts to display help info. I tried with default settings, but сould not select top frequency on bottom drop-down selector, it stay back to 5000Hz.. Not clear also how to start and stop recording correctly.

Last edited:
Read the help files. It comes with them. No it's not excessively user friendly, but it's worth toying with till you can figure it out. I know of no other software out there that is as configurable as it.
One thing to note, is that you can simply record it using a .wav file and use LTSpice to load the .wav file and apply it to a voltage source which you can do anything you want with, including send through circuits, or just do FFT analysy on.

Spectrum Lab is not professional tool, I doubt it can show me something helpful. Just program for Ham-Radio amateurs.

Shine, all that shows is that you don't know how to use it and don't want to learn, it can show you everything you need to know about the frequencies your speaker puts out if you feed it input from a flat microphone, such as an eletret mic is as they're generally have a very flat frequency response. You can then apply your EQ settings to the file and play it back again and see visible on the screen the changes in the spectrum.

Shine, all that shows is that you don't know how to use it and don't want to learn, it can show you everything you need to know about the frequencies your speaker puts out if you feed it input from a flat microphone, such as an eletret mic is as they're generally have a very flat frequency response. You can then apply your EQ settings to the file and play it back again and see visible on the screen the changes in the spectrum.

I tried this program few times, sure, input from condenser mic, but it's not convenient and display results that is difficult to interpret, has a long learning curve and a difficult-to-use interface.

If you want professional software, buy it. This software WILL give you the information you need, IF you know what you're looking for, if you're looking for a plug and play solution to your specific problem, you're not likely to find it free.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back