Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Measuring PWM voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

grrr_arrghh

Hi.

Using PWM to control a motor has the same affect as lowering the voltage, and I wondered if any one could think of a way of measuring (in the circuit) the 'apparent' voltage - i.e. the voltage that would be needed to make the motor spin at that speed.

Or measure when the duty cycle went beyond a trigger point.

Not for any particular project, just thought process going around in my head.

Cheers,

Tim

just measure it with your digital voltmeter, it will give the average voltage

oh really? ok, then, but I don't want to know the actual voltage, but I want to measure it with something like an op-amp, to compare the voltage. Would the op-amp measure the average voltage, or would it operate too fast and keep changing?

Tim,

Using PWM to control a motor has the same affect as lowering the voltage said:
Actually PWM is much better than lowering the voltage, you get a significantly higher torque from the motor and better control of the rpm.

Ante :roll:

ante said:
Tim,

Tim said:
Using PWM to control a motor has the same affect as lowering the voltage,

Actually PWM is much better than lowering the voltage, you get a significantly higher torque from the motor and better control of the rpm.

Ante

at the expense of torque-ripple.

Styx,

I did not say it was perfect (even the sun have spots) only much better, and it is!

Tim,

You can set up the op-amp to measure the average voltage if needed.

ante said:
Styx,

I did not say it was perfect (even the sun have spots) only much better, and it is!

Tim,

and i didn't say PWM was bad. In fact it is very good. Only way to control anything with real power and due to it has cause Sycronous machine to start making headway into what was Induction machine areas (nasty things)

grrr_arrghh said:
using the normal comparator configuration? Or is there extra stuff needed.

Thanks a lot guys!!

what you want to do is use a low-pass filter to average out what teh voltage is. You will need to buffer the PWM signal first to stop the low-pass filters imedance messing with the PWM. The cutoff freq of yr low-pass will be based upon what your switching-freq is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back