Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Measuring mains voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normal earth used to be via an 'earth spike' hammered in the ground - I still have one in use.

I'm not sure if I'm connected via a PME earth now or not though?, as an inspector said the wire to the spike was too thin (under new regulations), and as it's part buried under concrete I wasn't going to change it :D

So for the retest (which I had to pay for!) I asked to have a PME earth connection provided - but I've no idea if they did it, and I don't 'think' they charged me for me? - but anyway, they passed the job they were testing.

Earth and Ground....same stuff where I live.

I am making PCB"s with ESD sensitive LED's. White LED's from a certain manufacturer......from China.

My Production procedure:

1. Shoes off. Bare feet on the ground. Cold tiles and all.
2. No synthetic body clothing. Pure Cotton is good only.
3. No carrying parts around.

Very simple. And it works. And makes sense if you think about it. Around 300 LEDS have been tested this way....not a single failure.

They are loving it. I just thought I would pass this on.

No need to go to to radical procedures with LED's. Common sense prevails.

Thank You
TV TECH

Last edited:
Ah, to ground or not to ground, that is the question. Well King Oslo it is your Kingdom to decide. :)

Since I am sitting here in Cleveland, Ohio USA I certainly can'y comment on Norwegian power or building codes as to what would or would not be a good or wise investment. I would suggest someone a little more local and familiar with your power distribution. :)

Ron

Very simple. And it works. And makes sense if you think about it. Around 300 LEDS have been tested this way....not a single failure.

I wouldn't expect any - even with no precautions at all - LED's aren't particularly static sensitive.

But even for devices that are static sensitive, it's not failures in production that are the problem, it's damage caused which can greatly reduce their life expectancy.

I wouldn't expect any - even with no precautions at all - LED's aren't particularly static sensitive.

But even for devices that are static sensitive, it's not failures in production that are the problem, it's damage caused which can greatly reduce their life expectancy.

Hi Nigel

Herewith spec. sheet for Nichia white LED's. Nichia invented the White LED. White LED's are static sensitive. Please see documentation: Page 5 is good.

Kind regards,
TV TECH

Attachments

• NSDW570GS-K1-E(2).pdf
    561.2 KB · Views: 304
Hi Nigel

Herewith spec. sheet for Nichia white LED's. Nichia invented the White LED. White LED's are static sensitive. Please see documentation: Page 5 is good.

They still don't sound particularly static-sensitive :D

Notice though what they do say for checking possible static damage, and not just an ON/OFF test.

It's a pretty bizzarre datasheet - storage life only three months?.

Notice though what they do say for checking possible static damage, and not just an ON/OFF test.

It's pretty much common in the LED game..protecting themselves.....
LED as good as it is has a way to go.

The future...definitely.
Cheers Pal

TV TECH

Last edited:

They are all the same basic Datasheets....and originate from guess who.....Nichia, They wrote the book.

Hey Nigel

I am a simple guy showing simple ways of doing stuff.
Complicated = bad.

Sigh:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back