Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

measuring hfe for a transistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walid

Hi , I am using a digital multimeter to measure hfe for transistors , but what i noticed was that the hfe value displayed was different when i used a different battery for the multimeter. The older the battery was , the less value for hfe is dislayed. e.g i tried to measure hfe for a certain bjt (BC 548). It gave the value 170 for hfe with old battery. when i used a newer battery it gave 220 for hfe. so what value should i consider in the design?
thanks

hfe varies widely depending on several factors, one is the input current. 170-222 isn't a bad spread, really. If you design depends on predictable hfe, you might consider a redesign.

Your multimeter reads hFE which is the DC current gain, not hfe which is the AC current gain.
The HFE increases when the collector to emitter voltage is increased due to the Early effect.

Your circuit should be designed so that the entire range of hFE from a certain transistor part number will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back