Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

measuring balanced output

Status
Not open for further replies.

Othello

In a piece of commercial electronics I have an amplifier cassette for a broadcast mixer. The input is unbalanced, but the output is a balanced line. THe amplifier actually contains 4 sections, 2 stereo amps. which I need to adjust for the same amplification.
How do I measure the balanced output?
The input is easy, my signal generator can be switched to an unbalanced output, but what about the balanced output?
Do I connect my RMS voltmeter across the two balanced leads (which will probably ground one of them thru the unbalanced nature of the voltmeter)??
Do I measure against ground?

Uwe

If your voltmeter is unbalanced, one way is to use a 600Ω to 600Ω audio transformer. Connect the primary between the two unbalanced outputs, and the secondary to the voltmeter/o'scope.

My o'scope can do the A-B differential reading trick.

Yet another way is to build an opamp differential amplifier.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back