Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Measuring 2 Volt Cells in Parallel

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryan1

G'Day Guy's,

The main problem with measuring 2 volt cells with a common ground is each cell will rise 2 volts on average so that causes a major problem using ADC on a pic. I have been talking with a mate over this issue and we came up will a possible solution that uses a RFpic say a RF12f675. Now by doing it this way each pic can measure 2 cells and have a IR sensor to be signalled when a packet needs to be sent. Each pic can be powered by 2 cells so power won't be a problem.

This is one complicated idea but if any guy's have any easier way chime in as this is one project I want to do.

Cheers Bryan

I'm a bit confused about exactly what you're trying to do?.

Do you mean you've got a number of lead/acid (2V) cells in series, and you want to individually measure the voltage of each cell?.

Simply use a DPDT relay for each cell, and switch both ends of the individual battery you're testing to the PIC monitoring circuit.

Any modern PIC of say 18 pins is going to have 12 adc (e.g. 16f1827) and up from there to 30 channels on a 40 pin device (e.g. 18f46k22). Hook them up, and just subtract the previous reading from the next one up the ladder of 2V battery cells.

EDIT: Of course you would have to use a voltage divider to cover the range of the overall battery pack :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3v0
If the 2V cells are in parallel, as the post title states, then they will all have the same terminal voltage; so a single-channel ADC will suffice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back