Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

measure current by Scope

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr.power

Hi guys,

Can I measure the amplitude of AC current passing through a component like a speaker DIRECTLY by a scope at an specific frequency? Or just am able to measure the voltage across it?

Thanks

Thanks but I am indubt if I put the scope probe in series by the measured load? Can you say me what parameter it measure and what is p-p waveform I see in this situation?

Thanks

If you put the scope in series with the load, then you will just measure the open circuit voltage of the amp. The high impedance of the scope prevents any significant load current from going through the speaker.

As Nigel said, you have to put a small resistor in series with the load and measure the voltage across that to get the current.

It would help if you did some study on series and parallel circuits.

If you put the scope in series with the load, then you will just measure the open circuit voltage of the amp. The high impedance of the scope prevents any significant load current from going through the speaker.

As Nigel said, you have to put a small resistor in series with the load and measure the voltage across that to get the current.

It would help if you did some study on series and parallel circuits.

lol, Ok thanks, I got what was my fault! I just did not take this fact into account that the scope is high impedance so that could measure voltages without affecting them.
Is it matter which voltage (P-P or RMS) I measure so that I calculte current by OHMS law? I think using P-P yields to P-P current, and using RMS voltage yields RMS current, Right?

Thanks for everything

Yes, P-P voltage measurement would yield P-P current and RMS voltage measurement would yield RMS current. Either method obeys Ohm's law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back