Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Meanwell SP-200 Remote control function

Status
Not open for further replies.

konradIC13

Hello,

I have SP-200-7.5 meanwell AC/DC converter and i noticed in datasheet it have a remote control option avaliable. It says that when applying 0 to 0.8 V to the RC1 an RC2 pins will turn off DC power and more than 4V will turn it on.

Can i use a MCU digital output to do it? On board there is CN- pin and CN+ so i would have to connect ground of MCU to CN- and the logical signal to CN+?

Also im not sure what to think about it but there is no connector in there and in datasheet it says its 'optional'. Did anyone have seen anything like that before, does this optional means that not every AC\DC converter have this function or it only means not all of them have this connector?

Because when i test CN- and CN+ pins they are not connected together (and i see some resistor connected to CN-) could this result with "4~10V DC" because in this state AC\DC converter is working?

How I read this is that the mating connector is optional which is usual to do.

It also shows that it's optoisolated, so you would probably see a value with the diode test on your DVM.

So, 4-10 V is ON and 0-0.8 V is OFF. So I would suspect that if the pins are open, the power supply won't start.

The spec, I do see missing is the current drawn from these pins which will vary with voltage. Knowing the resistor and the opto part number, you can figure it out. It will LIKELY be dependent on voltage applied.

Thanks for help, but i think that the unit i have really does have "Optiona" remote control. I took a peek on its PCB and there are several empty spots, starting from the connector that is not present, then the + pin of RC is connected to lone island and there is empty resistor space that connects it to rest of board, but as i said there is more of spots like that.

You missed my point. The mating connector is the option, not the remote control. That's usual, because companies have their wiring harnesses made up separately.

I got the current drive info from Meanwell.

Then it seems i have a handicapped version, i just looked at the PCB.
The - pin and + of RC of CN1 connector are both going to the optocoupler ... which is not present, on the top side of PCB there is silkscreen icon for it but the part is not there. Also the - pin of RC is not even getting there because there is a resistor on its way, there are pads for it but no part as well.

From what i see, later the signal should go to a jumper which is not present as well then to a switching transistor with a resistor and condensator on its way. All parts not present, while pads, silkscreen are present.

I would agree with you especially if the power supply works without applying the requisite opto signal. Maybe Meanwell support will proviide you with the names of the parts necessary, They can always say, "that will void the warranty". Or you can guess. In any event the opto has to ground something, so there may be a jumper that needs to be removed. A lot otf the optos have a standard pinout, so you can trace the EC pins of a standard opto. Look for a jumper across those pins.
The other possibility is that it's counterfeit. In Meanwell's spec sheet I did not see ordering part number info with and without remote control.

FWIW, here http://us.tdk-lambda.com/ftp/Specs/zws.pdf is a spec sheet for a power supply where connectors are truely optional.

In some stand alone supplies NOT SHUTDOWN is common such as Xantrex and Kikisui.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back