Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Meaning of "Fortnight"

Status
Not open for further replies.

throbscottle

According to my step-daughter, people from at least one English speaking country do not have the word "fortnight" in their version of the language, so don't usually know what it means.

So whatever your native tongue, who here (but not from the UK because it's safe to assume you all do) knows the meaning of the word fortnight?

I do, but I grew up in Oz and I'm married to a Canadian. Oh, and English is not my native language...

According to my step-daughter, people from at least one English speaking country do not have the word "fortnight" in their version of the language, so don't usually know what it means.

So whatever your native tongue, who here (but not from the UK because it's safe to assume you all do) knows the meaning of the word fortnight?

Hi

Maybe a Night at the Fort. Like dancing and merry times and all at the Fort. Fort + Night = Fortnight. Every one of the peasants saves up every little nickel and dime they have just to experience one Night @ the Fort. How does that sound :p

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
Hey TV, sounds much more fun than the real meaning!

I know it means "2 weeks" but I didn't learn it from school. Must be from some BBC broadcast or "James Bond" movies. My native language doesn't have this word too.

Allen

My native language doesn't have this word too.

Yes but English is very widely spoken (often quite badly!) in Malaysia, after all dont forget that for may years the Brits did run Malaya as it was called then.

JimB

So, no I know you have an equivalent to the Spanish "quincena" (actually, 15 days, not 2 weeks). Locallly, in some jobs, people used to get paid fortnightly. That I know, that is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back