Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MCU with no Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomSoft

Hello everyone i was bored and was reading on the NET i found some new/old info.

There are micro controllers that use external flash memory ... I would love to know more about this. Can some people please post some links? Google is a good source if you know what to exactly search for, but i dont so please be cool and not say ..

"oh the first thing on google is..."

Thats too rude :)

Hi Jason,

The first microcontrollers I used maybe ten years ago were Motorola MC68HC11' and MC68HC12' devices which used a von neumann buss architecture (as opposed to a harvard architecture) and the boards I made with them had external RAM and EEPROM ICs.

Cheerful regards, Mike

Last edited:
dont you guys think external flas would be cool to be able to use for code? less safe but nice. i assume u would be able to use as much like a 16mbit flash for code and never have to worry... of course it would be slower but with the speeds of todays mcus it wont matter tomorrow heh

i guess im reinventing the pc idea :)

microcomputer.... nice... never read on that. heh i guess i have something to google now. It seems like thats what im talking about tho..

More like a PCs CPU correct?

Look at the BeagleBoard for ideas. When you need megabytes memory you pretty much have to go externally. Most useful with an OS like Linux.

dont you guys think external flas would be cool to be able to use for code? less safe but nice. i assume u would be able to use as much like a 16mbit flash for code and never have to worry... of course it would be slower but with the speeds of todays mcus it wont matter tomorrow heh

I think you're missing the point - microprocessors use external memory, one of the main points of a microcontroller is that everything is internal, a single chip solution.

yes but i never had a point i never compared the two i simply stated a mcu with external flash would be nice.

now i changes the aubject since i found out a mpu is what i need info on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back