MCU with no Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomSoft

Hello everyone i was bored and was reading on the NET i found some new/old info.

There are micro controllers that use external flash memory ... I would love to know more about this. Can some people please post some links? Google is a good source if you know what to exactly search for, but i dont so please be cool and not say ..

"oh the first thing on google is..."

Thats too rude

Hi Jason,

The first microcontrollers I used maybe ten years ago were Motorola MC68HC11' and MC68HC12' devices which used a von neumann buss architecture (as opposed to a harvard architecture) and the boards I made with them had external RAM and EEPROM ICs.

Cheerful regards, Mike

Last edited:
dont you guys think external flas would be cool to be able to use for code? less safe but nice. i assume u would be able to use as much like a 16mbit flash for code and never have to worry... of course it would be slower but with the speeds of todays mcus it wont matter tomorrow heh

i guess im reinventing the pc idea

microcomputer.... nice... never read on that. heh i guess i have something to google now. It seems like thats what im talking about tho..

More like a PCs CPU correct?

Look at the BeagleBoard for ideas. When you need megabytes memory you pretty much have to go externally. Most useful with an OS like Linux.

I think you're missing the point - microprocessors use external memory, one of the main points of a microcontroller is that everything is internal, a single chip solution.

yes but i never had a point i never compared the two i simply stated a mcu with external flash would be nice.

now i changes the aubject since i found out a mpu is what i need info on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…