Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MCP60x output swing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am using a Microchip MCP602 to buffer and filter, with unity gain, for a 0-5Vdc clean DC input.

According to the spec sheet the out should swing Vss+100mV and Vdd-100mV but for a +5Vdc input I get only 4.25Vdc output. Range 0-4.25Vdc works 100%, above that is flat at 4.25Vdc.

I am using 0u1 across the IC and have tried others from a new batch of IC's with the same results. I have checked for noise and nothing is apparent,

What is going wrong here?

I am using a Microchip MCP602 to buffer and filter, with unity gain, for a 0-5Vdc clean DC input.

According to the spec sheet the out should swing Vss+100mV and Vdd-100mV but for a +5Vdc input I get only 4.25Vdc output. Range 0-4.25Vdc works 100%, above that is flat at 4.25Vdc.

I am using 0u1 across the IC and have tried others from a new batch of IC's with the same results. I have checked for noise and nothing is apparent,

Hi G,
Whats the output pin of the MCP6202 connected too.??
I use these on a 5V supply and I get within approx 100mV of +Vs, when connected to a Hi impedance load.

Hi G,
Whats the output pin of the MCP6202 connected too.??
I use these on a 5V supply and I get within approx 100mV of +Vs, when connected to a Hi impedance load.

Hi Eric

The output will go straight through to the A2D input of a PIC18F2523 but for now I am testing it either open circuit or into a 25K load as the spec sheet suggests to test for Vdd and Vss +/-100mV. Enclosed is image of SCH.

Attachments

• Unity_buffer_with_filter.PNG
    Unity_buffer_with_filter.PNG
    12.1 KB · Views: 765
With 5V applied to the input, what does the first amplifier pull to?

So go and buy a modern, rail-to-rail output opamp.

You did measure Vcc, didn't you?

Are you saying that MCP604 is not a modern, rail-to-rail output opamp?

Yep, although I should have said "So go and buy a modern, rail-to-rail input and output opamp"

Directly from the datasheet:

Attachments

• MCP.png
    MCP.png
    39 KB · Views: 260
hi Graham,
When stated MCP60x... I incorrectly assumed you meant the MCP6002.....

Attachments

• MCP6002.pdf
    454.9 KB · Views: 183
Well found everyone, mystery solved. many thanks. It was actually very stupid of me not to see that in the DS :(

I will use MCP6041-42-44 in the future :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back