Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MC3418: Anyone converting analog audio to digital?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbramwel

I would like to transmit digital audio via radio. I have the radio side sorted out ok. I have a transciever that is capable of 9600 data via the discriminator (RX) and direct drive (TX).

My guess is to use something like the MC3418 to encode the audio into a digital signal that can be feed into my transmitter.

I do not know where to find such a chip in canada. Maybe another delta modulator exists or a better (still inexpensive) way of doing it.

Maybe I should buy a $20 GE cordless phone and see what I can remove from the device.

Any one doing something like this? Any ideas?

9600 baud is FAR too low for sending audio, it's only 960 bytes per second, so it's audio bandwidth would only be a couple of hundred hertz.

Assuming you're using licence free radio modules, the licence free conditions usually ban audio usage as well!.

The required baud rate is dependant on the encoding method. 9600 baud should be adequate for voice grade communications. The MC3418 actually suggests this in their application notes.

I work at a University and the radios are licensed for experimental use. Any mode is permitted. I'll probably use a 5khz voice channel although North America is moving towards tighter channel spacing for land mobile. Most of the newer kit seems to be 2.5/3khz wide.

I found someone that used the MC3418 and pushed their voice up a submersible cable at 9600baud with telemetry data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back