Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

May I know the value of the burnt resistor?Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It could be anywhere from 82R to 680R, with no other data it's hard to tell. If the resistor is burned, the transistor base is likely open. Check the 240R resistor, it dissipates more than a watt and may be damaged as well.

It could be much higher than that, it's really EXTREMELY uncritical, and in many cases could be left out entirely.

... because it's absolutely senseless and worthless in this position.

... because it's absolutely senseless and worthless in this position.

Not really, it ensures the output transistor stays turned OFF if there is slight leakage in the driver transistor - it's good practice to include it, but it's value can be almost anything higher than the lower resistor - preferably a LOT higher though.

Quick thought - if that resistor has burnt up, it can only happen if the output transistor has failed (O/C BE), otherwise there's only 0.7V across it.

Last edited:
Not really, it ensures the output transistor stays turned OFF if there is slight leakage in the driver transistor - it's good practice to include it, but it's value can be almost anything higher than the lower resistor - preferably a LOT higher though.

hi,
I agree, a 'high' base/emitter resistor is recommended.

The fact that resistor has burnt out, suggests the pnp is a short circuit [base/collector]

Last edited:
hi,
I agree, a 'high' base/emitter resistor is recommended.

The fact that resistor has burnt out, suggests the pnp is a short circuit [base/collector]

And has to be O/C base/emitter as well, or just O/C base/emitter could make it burn up as it would have far too much voltage across it.

It's shuffled off this mortal coil - the only reason it worked was that it was nailed to its relay! :p

Its probably the back emf from the 'mortal coil' thats caused the BD140's mortality.!!!:rolleyes:

The value of the base-emitter resistance affects the turn-off time of the transistor. See below.

Attachments

• Rbe sch.PNG
    Rbe sch.PNG
    9.7 KB · Views: 157
  • Rbe waves.PNG
    Rbe waves.PNG
    17.6 KB · Views: 156
  • storage time test.asc
    1.1 KB · Views: 140
It's of VERY little concern though, if it was of concern you would make better arrangements than that so it turned off much faster still.
I was taking issue with those who said that Rbe is unnecessary, or at least irrelevant. It may or may not be important in this particular circuit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back