Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MaxStream Wireless 40 miles!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanerb

Anybody use these? Pretty amazing. What do you think?
**broken link removed**

I will need two of these, one as a reciever and one as a tramistter right? So 600 bucks for a working system?

PLan

I am planning to use the ZigBee Pro USB modem with ZigBee modules because of the higher data rates and much cheaper cost...I don't need anything that can go as far as the Xtend yet.

The modules are far cheaper than the modems...smaller too (although the XTend prices are a bit closer to each other than the XBee Prices). I would just get a modem to hook up to the PC and use the modules for onboard the projects.

Do you really need 40 miles? You can save yourself several hundred by going with the ZigBees.

Last edited:
They clain a range of 40 miles for a line of sight path, which means that there is a clear unobstructed path between the two modules.
Otherwise about 3000 feet (less than 1 mile) in town.

So if the two ends of your link are on the tops of big hills and there is a clear view from one to the other, you will be fine.

JimB

for a senior project at my university we were thinking an UAV (unmanned aerial vehicle). We would control a 60" Zagi airplane via a computer that send control data to it wirelessly. It should be a line of sight type of project, me on the ground on the computer, and the plane in the sky. -Ryan

OK, in that case the units you suggest would probably be OK.

But, consider the following:

When the aeroplane gets some height, it will be able to hear all the other stuff using similar modules. The combined signal strength of all the other units may corrupt your control signals. Not good.

The unit probably has a steel case, which will make it quite heavy for model aircraft use, you could replace the case with an aluminium one or remove it altogether, but you may then run into performance problems.

Have you considered using one of the control systems designed for model aircraft? That may be a better bet in the long run.

Looking at the data sheet, each unit is a transmitter and receiver, so you should just need one at each end of the link.

JimB

On the much lower 2M(144-148 MHz.) US amateur band I often have trouble hitting the local repeater which is 12 miles away on top of 20-story building with 5W-10W.

At 900 Mhz. I think they made the measurement on a really DRY day, besides having the unobstructed line of sight.

Papabravo said:
On the much lower 2M(144-148 MHz.) US amateur band I often have trouble hitting the local repeater which is 12 miles away on top of 20-story building with 5W-10W.

You're supposed to press the PTT, not throw the transceiver at the relay :D

But only 12 miles is a pathetic distance with that amount of power, presumably the local terrain is the problem?, or tall buildings blocking the way?.

With a 1W 2M handheld in my attic I could get repeaters on all channels, including one about 90 miles away!.

Yes the terrain is a problem in this area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back