Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Maximum Synchronous Serial Communication Speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

savvej

This is a small doubt regarding Serial Communication(synchronous) speed.
Lets take case of I2C and consider I2C based RTC chip DS1307 which according to datasheet
works at a clock speed of 100Khz.
So by 100Khz do they mean that this is the max clock speed I can use or will it also work at lower speed with only effect that overall execution will be slow?Or is it that the device won't work at all excepting that at 100Khz?

hi,
This is an extract from the DS1307 d/s

Attachments

• AAesp02.gif
    AAesp02.gif
    27.8 KB · Views: 297
hi,
This is an extract from the DS1307 d/s

okay in last line it says that it will work at 100khz only. but that is in comparision with 400Khz.I mean is should'nt it work at lower speeds too ?As in , in case of Serial Sync. Comm. What is defined is max speed and my guess is that at higher speed due to hardware limits it might not repond as expected but it should definitely work at lower speed?

hi,
Looking at this link, indicates lower rates can be used.

**broken link removed**

extract:
By comparison, the I²C bus can go static indefinitely. In the I²C bus, either a master or a slave can hold the clock low as long as necessary to process data.

Last edited:
As in when I was reading programming specifications of 16F628A ,they Havent specified the speed of clock anywhere which too is a form of serial communication.instead they have only given the setup and hold times.I guess this is what determines max. clock speed that can be given during synchronous serial communication.What do you say?And there is no lower limit of serial synchronous speed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back