Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Maximum frequency for TMR0 Interrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecritic

I want to toggle a pin as fast as possible using TMR0.

I use this code (kind of pseudocode)
Code:
interrupt_isr()
{
           if(T0IF){

togglepin();
            TMR0 = 255;
            T0IF = 0;

}
}

What is the frequency I get? Well, due to 2 instruction delay if you write to TMR0, I should be getting an interrupt every third instruction cycle. With the pic (16f676) running on internal 4Mhz oscillator, 4 / 4 = 1Mhz is the clock for TMR0. Because it interrupts every third instruction cycle, it should give me a frequency of around 1/3 Mhz.

Am I correct? But Proteus ISIS simulation shows its just around 20Khz. How do you calculate the max possible frequency?

Check the assembler code generated by your C compiler. There will probably be 10 to 14 instructions for context saving and restore, then 4 inst for jump to interrupt and back out, and your interrupt contents are baout 6 or 7 insts. That's about 25 insts very best case, or about 40kHz but only IF you get it right and write the correct value to TMR0.

I think you need to re think your PIC choice and code operation if you need to do a task at 300kHz. :eek:

MPSIM is a great tool. Use Stopwatch to see timing values.

Last edited:
Thanks for clearing things up, Mr. RB. I really forgot to take into account the time spent on the ISR itself. So, Its impossible to interrupt every 3 instruction because for this you need to be interrupting from the ISR itself. And also the the extra-instruction generated for context saving and similar thing by C complier is an issue here.
I don't really need very fast frequency at the moment, just curious how much you can get.

@colin55; what ? How do I get a frequency of 500 khz? Why the glitch?

@atferrari Thanks. I am really loving it now. An accurarcy tool.

How do you convert your C code to Assembly code and do the MPLAB sim there. I want do see why a single C statment eats so much time?

And, after using the stopwatch, I am confused at this. With the PIC running from internal 4Mhz oscillator, how much time it takes for each Instruction? I thought (because of pipelining) its just 1/4Mhz = 0.25 us. Or I need to divide it by 4?
I thougt its only for TMR0 that we need to divide the clock by 4.

Thanks everybody.

ReRTFM

Fosc = 4 MHz > period T = 1/4000000 = 250 nsec

Tcy = 4T = 4 * 250 nsec = 1 usec

Reread the datasheet. Every 4 clock cycles you get one instruction dealt with.

Last edited:
Have a look in your compiler help file for details, the compiler should generate a .ASM file after compiling. You can look for that file and see what is in it.

I think the fastest non-glitched sqaure wave you can get is from this;
Code:
  movlw b'00000001'
loop
  xorwf PORTB
  goto loop
That produces a squarewave with 6 cycle loop or 1MHz / 6. (167kHz)

Or this;
Code:
loop
  bsf PORTB,0
  bcf PORTB,0
  goto loop
A 4 cycle waveform with 25% duty cycle at 1MHz / 4 (250kHz)

You don't even need to use the TMR0 interrupt flag. You can poll individual bits in the TMR0 register and have a pin switch high every time that bit switches high and vice versa for low.

Bit 0 transitions high to low and low to high every 1 count. Bit 1 transitions every two counts, bit 2 transitions every 4 counts, etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back