Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Maxim MAX1668 Temperature Probe

Status
Not open for further replies.

justDIY

I've been bored lately, needing a break from another project I've been working on for quite some time... so I went digging around my samples box, and came up with the MAX1668.

I received a few samples of the MAX1668 a few years back, for another project that is so far on the back burner, well… anyway.

The MAX1668 is a 5 channel centigrade temperature sensor. It sports one internal temperature probe and four external probes. The external probes are diode-connected transistors, opposed to thermisters or temperature to voltage converts like the lm35.

**broken link removed**

So, I threw a small project together to feel this thing out, and wound up with another involved project.

I plan to interface the probe with a large VFD to make an indoor/outdoor temperature readout of sorts.

I have a write-up with a ton of pictures typed up... check it out:

https://projects.dimension-x.net/technology-and-projects/exploration-of-max1668/

williB,

thanks for the complement.

that is strange a picture is not loading for you ... hopefully it is just one of those random internet things that will clear up. I don't see any errors in the server log regarding that picture (or any picture)

anyway, here's a taste of whats to come ... need to sleep on a user interface and some features.

**broken link removed**

I've started envisioning what I want to do with this system.

I'm thinking I'll make a super indoor/outdoor data-logging thermometer.

These probes are kinda expensive ... I found them on Newark and Digikey, for nearly $10, I have two samples, so I'll probably build two thermometers instead of a single thermometer with 8 (external) channels. I guess I could get two more samples :p

Anyway, I'm thinking the thermometer needs a clock and a seeprom (or maybe a small SD) for storing data, a menu driven user interface for setting the clock, changing settings and reviewing the data.

My ideas have been dumped here:

MAX1668 Phase2

I typed that up around 1am, so don't be critcal of my spelling or grammer ;) I'll add some pictures and more ideas later today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back