Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MAX220CPE+ for UART application

Status
Not open for further replies.

electroRF

Hi,
I'd like to communicate between PC and PIC18f4520, and need MAXIM-232 for the voltage levels convertion.

Maxim offers MAX220CPE+ samples, and I'm wondering if it can be used for such UART application.

I'd appreciate your comment regarding that.

Thanks.

electroRF said:
...I'd like to communicate between PC and PIC18f4520, and need MAXIM-232 for the voltage levels convertion.

The PIC18f4520 already supports RS-232.

PIC18F4520 Uart.JPG

As would most PCs. If not, a simple USB to RS-232 converter would suffice (in most cases).

Or am I missing something?

Hi bob,

My concern is that the PIC outputs 0V and 5V RS232 signals, while the PC outputs -12V and +12V RS232 signals.

Therefore, I'm afraid I cannot connect the pic directly to a PC.

You see the problem?

i think he means the voltage level shifter like a max232, the one you have linked too should be fine dosnt look much different from max232. somewhere on here is a post telling you how to do it with just resistors i have never tried that tho

Hi,
I'd like to communicate between PC and PIC18f4520, and need MAXIM-232 for the voltage levels convertion.

Maxim offers MAX220CPE+ samples, and I'm wondering if it can be used for such UART application.

I'd appreciate your comment regarding that.

Thanks.

hi RF,
The MAX220 is a low power version of the MAX232 and is OK to use as a PIC to PC RS232 level shifter, use the correct capacitor values for the MAX220.

E.

Attachments

• AAesp01.gif
    AAesp01.gif
    36.2 KB · Views: 134
hi Mr Gibbs

OK.

Yes, it can be used for a translation such as you are considering.

I think you might find it more convenient (and cheaper) to use a device like this:

**broken link removed**
($2.21USD. Not many left...)

Which uses this chip:
**broken link removed**

Unless, of course, if your PC has no USB port(s).

(This is what I had in mind in my 1st post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back