Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Max outptu current of current monitor IC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The datasheet says the device needs at least 2.5V, so no you can't use a 1k8 w/ 1mA on the IOUT leg.

Yes theres 1.2V between vsense and iout pins.
Does that matter?
Im not talking about the voltage across the sense resistor.

2.5 volts is the minimum operating voltage of the ZXCT1009. And, since the '09 gets it's ground connection through the load resistor, it means that the minimum voltage between the +sense pin and the output pin, at any current, is 2.5V.

So, the highest output voltage that you can get with a 3V input is 0.5Volts.

If you look at the transfer characteristic curve you can see the max is almost a volt less than the power supply, which makes sense if you look at the little schematic of it in the example - it has an emitter follower output.

I'm guessing linearity could be poor if the chip doesn't get its full 2.5V; so I'd go for the 0.5V max out if Vin is 3V.

You know.. I don't know which is right. :confused: All I can do is tell you how I got there. I looked at the transfer curve. Lets say the lowest one - 2 ma. with .2 volts V sense. It looks like it needs 1.7 volts from Vin to Vout leaving 1.3 volts at 2 ma. or 650 ohms for the resistor. When I look at the top curve it looks like it takes 2.5 volts before it can deliver the full 10 ma. But I could also go for the 2.5 volts minimum but that would be kind of a wasted spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back