Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Max input voltage to Zener diode

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorPS

What is the typ max input voltage that can applied to a zener voltage, or as long as the current is within the zener diode spec, then it is ok?

if I input DC 2kV, through a few Mohm resistor to a 5.1V zener diode, assume current is only 0.1mA, will i burst the zener volatge?

Thank you,

For the conditions you are proposing a 20Mohm resistor would be OK.
The zener diode will be OK.
Also be aware that resistors have a voltage rating, usually around 250v for the average 0.25w resistor.
You can get special high voltage resistors.

But I must ask, why would you want to drive this zener from such a high voltage?

JimB

Look at the VR37 series resistors from Vishay. Allied Electronics carries them. They are available up to 33Mohms and handle 3.5KVDC. Reasonably priced.

JimB said:
But I must ask, why would you want to drive this zener from such a high voltage?

I think I just answered my own question in your other thead!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back