Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Material for gloves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrostatic

Hey all,

I have been involved with a project concerning the playstation and recreating the playstation controller into a glove.

My question is what kind of material would any one in here recommend as far as glove wise. Consider that this glove is being made for two hands and that each finger will have implemented a button on it. Now tell me what material would be more comfortable and more long hours of play without making your hands all nasty and sticky.

Thank you

a glove, made for two hands?! ... do you mean an ambidextrous glove, that could fit left or right, or do you mean the one glove will fit two hands, at the same time?

you'll want a fabric that's breathable, like cotton, or a syn-cotton blend ... problem with cotton is it can get dirty, and if you have electronics wired in it, no easy way to clean.

if you went with spandex / lycra / neoprene, you could clean the glove using a damp cloth and soap, but then you end up having it not breathable and the hand(s) will get sweaty

could go with a spandex or neoprene outer glove, that holds the switches, and a removable cotton or blended liner (sometimes called a jersey knit), so you can toss the liner in the wash when it gets fouled up.

I would go for cotton , but would explore the use pneumatic or liquid filled rubber tubing to transfer the finger pressure/movement to a switch assembley that can be removed prior to washing the glove. Another alternative may be to use piezo transducers more often found being used as the tiny speakers on computer motherboards, these are roughly the same size as the buttons you are used to and only a couple of mm thick, a thin application of silicone sealent should prevent the ingress of water and stick it to the glove. Some eletronics will be needed to interface the piezo transducer to the handset but it should not be difficult to implement.

What i had in mind was cotton and then underneath the hands a cut out of another glove shaped hand to cover up the wiring. The thing is that each finger will have two wires. I was also thinking about a glove that was all cotton but underneath the hands it had a sort of like rough yet flexible covering so that it would give the hands some support. Im not sure if this makes any sense to any one in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back