Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Matching power window wire colours

Status
Not open for further replies.

revans

Heya, bit off an odd one here, not quite that "electricky", but anyhoo... the front left power window switch in my 98' Nissan Lucino hatch is buggered.

I could get a replacement for $30 odd, but I'd like to save some $$ and have a go a putting a momentary dpdt switch **broken link removed** instead, as outlined by this guide.

The guy's got a wiring diagram (which I've attached), but the wire colours are different to what I've got and I'm not sure how it matches up.

His Mazda has black, red, red w/ white stripe, green, green w/ white stripe. The wires in my Lucino are green, blue, blue w/ white stripe, red w/ white stripe, red w/ black stripe.

Can anyone enlighten me on how the colours match up? Thanks. (I did actually ask this on Nissan forum btw - nissanforums.com - would've thought that woulda helped, but no luck. Usually get a decent answer here though :))

Attachments

• plug.jpg
    plug.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 1,113
Last edited:
The Nissan uses a unique three-position switch that passes the commands from the driver console through to the motor when the passenger switch is in the center ("off") position. A simple center-off DPDT switch as you have will only allow operation from one location (drivers console, or door, no choice).

Hmmm, no kidding. Thanks for that mneary, I had no idea. I guess I'd probably prefer to get a proper replacement then.

Despite that, say it turns out I can't find a proper replacement switch or it turns out to be cost prohibitive, I may end up going with a DPDT switch anyway (or maybe even just as a temporary fix so I can actually move the window). Just in case, could you please explain how I should hook up the wires I've got to the DPDT switch?

Cheers.

I'm assuming that you're working on a passenger door switch.

One of your wires has Battery on it most (all?) of the time from the AUX key position (or a relay consistent with the logic) In my 1995+ Altima manual (US) this is yel/red.
Two others have Chassis on them most of the time. (red/wht-red/blk in right-front, grn/wht-grn/blk in left-rear and right-rear.)
When you push the driver console lever, it lifts one of these two to Battery, leaving the other at Chassis.
The remaining two are connected to the motor. (blu/red-blu/blk on all motors). If you connect the motor directly to the console wires, the motor will move in each direction depending on which way you press the console button.
The switch at the door, when in the center position, just passes the console signals through. When you move the door switch, it separates one of the motor lines from the console and attaches it to Battery.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back