Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Matching or not matching ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

firebird

Hi there. I am relatively new to electronics and I have a question. Suppose you want to connect two circuits togheter, such as two op-amp circuits for instance. So, would it be better to work with matched impedances or would it be better if the first circuit has a very low output impedance and the last circuit has a very high input impedance ?

Thanks for your help.

firebird said:
Hi there. I am relatively new to electronics and I have a question. Suppose you want to connect two circuits togheter, such as two op-amp circuits for instance. So, would it be better to work with matched impedances or would it be better if the first circuit has a very low output impedance and the last circuit has a very high input impedance ?

Thanks for your help.

For maximum signal transfer you feed a low impedance in to a high impedance, you don't need VERY low, and VERY high - ten times the impedance is usually fine.

Matching impedances gives maximum POWER transfer, but by definition attenuates the signal by 50%.

You can work it out quite simply by ohms law, it's simply an attenuator (or potential divider).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back