Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Master Valve Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzmooney

I have an irrigation controller without a master valve connection.
Has anyone found a way of adding a master valve control circuit to the controller?

I imagine you want to turn on a device, such as a pump, whenever any of the watering loops is activated. Is this right?
Just EXACTLY what do you want to activate, and is the system driven by a water pump or is the system running off mains water supply?

Do you have any information about the controller, its capabilities or how it is wired?

If it's a typical 28VAC system then you could likely rectify the output from each station and sum them together to turn on a relay. If you use bridge rectifiers and don't filter their outputs then you should be able to use a 28V DC relay (a diode across the coil will minimize any chatter from the pulsed rectified sine-wave).

It is an 6 station Orbit model 57096 with 24VAC outputs.
It has one common and a separate terminal for each station.
The pump start relay is 24VAC also.

The approach crutschow detailed is simple and effective. It can be done with 6 bridge rectifiers (or 14 diodes) and a 24VDC relay. This relay can be used to drive the existing 24VAC relay you have on the pump.

This sort of stuff is pretty common. I have a 6 station unit but it also has the common supply for a pump as you require, and it runs from a 24 volt external transformer. I use my system for watering the vineyard.
Each of the outputs is switched with a small TO92 case triac, and the current capability is 9VA max. At 24 volt this equates to a current of 0.375 Amp. From memory, my solenoid valves are about 4 or 5 VA each, so you shouldnt have any problems with driving a relay from each output.
The 'Watermaster' thing I have is has a model number of '57116'.
Its probably from the same factory as yours!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back