Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

margin power of resistor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, have got a (maybe) simple question. I can calculate the power for a resistor. If i calculate the power dissipated will be 0.2 watt (i^2 *R) for instance and i have got a 0.25 watt resistor that could be fine. But what is the safety margin normally used?

To put it in other words what safety margin is used for what kind of application?

what is the safety margin normally used?
There is no 'normal' margin. It varies according to the application. In an aircraft, hospital, military or other mission-critical use you would expect a wide safety margin. For domestic use a narrow margin may be acceptable.

Military margins are typically 50% and I would expect automotive and medical margins to be similar. Others are probably more like 25%.

Note that a power rating is often at an ambient of 25C. Anything higher due to higher room temperature or rise in the electronics box from internal power dissipation requires further derating.

In addition, each type of resistor operates at a different temperature. The manufacturer sets the temperature and this pruduces the allowable wattage for the resistor. This is why you can get very small 3watt resistors.

You do not want to touch nor have anything that melts near a resistor that operates near its max power rating.
Resistors are designed to get very HOT when at their power rating! A resistor operating at half its max power rating is still pretty hot but maybe is acceptable.

I'll push them right to their rated limit for many of my own projects since most reputable manufacturers are already building in a 20% margin.

That said, I'll also subtract 20% or more if the ambient temperature is over 40C, 20% or more if nearby devices or materials don't appreciate the extra heat, 20% or more if the application is professional and intended to be very reliable, 20% or more if subsequent replacement or troubleshooting will be especially difficult, etc. That's easily 1/3 to 1/2 of rated power if multiple factors apply. And don't forget to leave a healthy gap between the resistor and the PCB, maximum rated temps for resistors are at least 100°C hotter than those for PCB's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back