Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Manually controlling USB pins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusttree

I worked on a project a little while back where I manually controlled the individual pins of the parallel port using "outb" and "inb" in c++. For my next project, I'd like to transition to the USB port (mostly because I like the readily available 5V supply... and those serial cables are big and clunky). I did a bit of research online and didn't find any references to specific port commands to manually control the USB pins.

Is there a fundamental difference between the old style parallel ports and the new USB ports that you can't actually control the USB pins yourself?

-Dan

Last edited:
The para port has individual bits which can be manipulated via software control. USB is a serial bus and transmits data in packet form using the USB protocol.
If you read up on the USB protocol you will get your answer. Have a look at this link.
**broken link removed**

That should keep 'em busy for a while...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back