Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Manually charging my tablet, an interim solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmarcdee

Hi,

Need some opinions.

I have an Asus Transformer TF101 tablet that won't charge anymore. A little background info: this tablet uses a USB connection, and the original AC adapter put out 15 volts (not the usual USB 5 volts). For the tablet to indicate "charging" it needs to receive at least 11 volts (it can apparently trickle charge while asleep at a lower voltage, but I've never experienced this). My original charger broke (like many do for this device), so I purchased a 12v adapter from Radioshack with a female USB tip. Due to a little "accident" something else broke. Using my multimeter, I know the adapter and USB tip still put out the correct voltage, so its either the proprietary USB-to-30pin cable connector for the tablet, or something in the tablet itself. I can't figure out how to definitively test if the cable is broke or not. It is hard to get a multimeter lead into the 30pin connector, although continuity tests on the outside ground still show a connection, etc... I've also disassembled the tablet a small amount and was able to voltage test the pins on the PCB right next to the connection. With the battery disconnected and the cable plugged in, I get nothing. With the battery connected and the cable not plugged in, I get 3 to 4 volts from a couple of those pins and nothing from others. Not sure what this means, but seems to me like the problem in the cable...possibly...maybe.

Anyways, I've ordered a cable and it is in the mail, but in the meantime I really need/want some extra charge in my tablet. Normally I would just say 'what the hell' and try this, but since its a $300 tablet I guess I'll get a second opinion first. I have a second 12v source with just two stripped wires, what if I stuck the positive wire into the female connection on the tablet, and the ground onto a screw somewhere, do you think that would charge the battery? This is where my electronics knowledge falls short. I don't know how this 30pin connector works, does it somehow split up the voltage or something so that if I just sent 12v directly into everything it would fry it?

I think thats it...
Thanks for any suggestions.
Keep on kludgin'
Marc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back