Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Making your own parts on eaglecad and using I2C

Status
Not open for further replies.

David_Baratheon

Hi Everyone, im doing a project and need some advice if thats ok

Im designing a PCB on eaglecad and need to use a 28pin header. The header with the correct pitch is only 26 pin or 32 pin. How can I redesign the part so that it has a 28 pin header in the library? Is it a difficult and complicated processs?

Secondly, I will be interfacing a beagle board with an LCD so if anyone is able to provide me with some info on how to program that in c and how to use I2C it'd be great

thanks for the help, all the best

Sparkfun has a great tutorial on creating libraries, look on it. Editing a package is not very complicated, I would start with the 32pin header, you need to edit both the symbol and package, them use them in a new component. Best way is to start your own new library, open the original in the eagle´s main window and right click the part you want to copy and click copy to library. Then edit it to suit your needs.

Sparkfun has a great tutorial on creating libraries, look on it. Editing a package is not very complicated, I would start with the 32pin header, you need to edit both the symbol and package, them use them in a new component. Best way is to start your own new library, open the original in the eagle´s main window and right click the part you want to copy and click copy to library. Then edit it to suit your needs.

He was asking about Eagle SW, not Sparkfun. Two different programs.
There are tutorials for Eagle.

There are lots of tutorials now on the Internet. Basically, you enter the library program (open library), just like you start a new schematic or board. It is best to set up your own library, so when updates come along, you can move the whole thing over.

Then enter a part name in the dialog box. Eagle will not find it and will ask if you want to make a new part. Answer "yes" and you are off and running. Remember every part has three sub-files: 1) schematic ("Symbol"), PCB outline ("Package") , and Device (four logic gates icon). The Device integrates the symbol and package. That is, it tells which pins on the schematic go to which pads on the package. The easy way is to open the part that is almost right, copy it, then paste to your library design and modify. Remember "copy" in versions prior to 6.0 is the cut icon. Also, be sure all layers are shown when you copy/paste.

It is best that you learn how to do it, but if you only need the one part, please give us information on which header you are using, pitch, etc, and one of us will make it for you.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back