Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Making an mp3 pillow...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wgdg1

Hey im totally new to this so would really appreciate some help..

I'm trying to build a pillow which i can plug my ipod into to listen to music..

Here is my plan below
**broken link removed**

A few questions i really need help with :)
1. Would this "diagram" above work?
2. What specifications of speakers would i need (eg how many watts or ohms etc?)
3. Do i need some kind of amplifier?

4. Will it be loud enough or do i need to install a battery pack for power or something?

I would really appreciate any help from anyone.. thanks!

Ipods and MP3 players are designed to drive earbuds that have an impedance of about 35Ω; they wont drive 4Ω or 8Ω speakers; they might drive small 16Ω or higher impedance speakers if you can find some at low volume.

Cheapest way: go to a garage sale where someone is selling "powered" computer speakers. That would have everything you need, including a small stereo amplifier which usually operates from a 9-12V plug-in wall wart. It even has the 1/8" stereo jack to plug directly into Ipod. I have bought a set of small computer speakers for $1.

Thanks alot, but woud that need to be plugged into the wall? im trying to make a pilow that is totaly portable and just runs of an ipod.

Would it be possibe to install some sort of battery pack to help??

thanks so much for your help
wg

I would try flat transducers, even piezos.

I remember years back, there were these FLAT speakers that you attached to the wall, and it made the WALL the "speaker"

If you are trying to "Feel the bass" you are out of luck...Unless you use an air pillow. In that case, I would open up a $1 set of ear buds and connect the drivers to the pillow.

I would use a, say, 12 volt battery pack (8 AAs) and a simple amplifier circuit (you may be able to modify the powered computer speakers to run on batteries--it depends on their voltage, current draw, and whether it requires AC or DC).
Der Strom

The powered computer speakers that I have used internally run on about 9V to 12V so you could connect a battery pack in place of the wall-wart. Observe polarity...

thanks a lot.. where would be the best place to get information on a simple amplifier circuit which would be suitible for this?

I've googled it but come back with about a million different results, what would be suitable for this? does it depend on the speakers?

thanks for bearing with me! sorry!

Would a simply "cmoy amplifier circuit" be ok?

Last edited:
A cmoy amplifier drives 32 ohm to 600 ohm headphones, not 8 ohm speakers.
You need the stereo power amplifier inside computer speakers.

Most computer speakers use tiny little speakers that do not produce deep bass frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back