Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

making a resistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tala86

I was wondering if anyone can give me advice for making a 5 Ohm resistor using a wire (when the only thing I have is an insufficient sample of that wire)??

Any answer would be greatly appreciated!

what is an "insufficient sample" of wire?

if you want a resistance of 5 ohms, cut off a long enough piece that it's 5 ohms... if there's some other constraint, then you should specify that

tala86 said:
I was wondering if anyone can give me advice for making a 5 ohm resistor using a wire (when the only thing I have is an insufficient sample of that wire)??

What is the application for this home-spun resistor?

Power rating? Drift? Some methods of resistor construction may not be
appropriate. Please offer more information about the desired use.

tala86 said:
I was wondering if anyone can give me advice for making a 5 ohm resistor using a wire (when the only thing I have is an insufficient sample of that wire)??

Hi,
If you don't have enough of the wire, you need to make it thinner so the resistance increase, and at one point you'll have enough wire.

Another way is to give us more info so we know what you want/ are talking about.

Or get more wire :D

TOK ;)

The lead (graphite) in a pencil might be used to construct a resistor - with due consideration for power levels and safety. Won't be pretty but it might get the job done for you.

what makes you want make diy resistor? aren't they common and cheap enough? maybe you cannot find exact value? if so, did you know that you can combine two or more resistors to make equivalent of one you need?

thanks for the answers!!
forget about the insufficient part, assuming i have enough wire, what are some tips you would give me when making a resistor using wire. just advice to make it pratical and effective.

tala86 said:
thanks for the answers!!
forget about the insufficient part, assuming i have enough wire, what are some tips you would give me when making a resistor using wire. just advice to make it pratical and effective.

To make one practical & effective, you need to consider the application!

If you wind wire on a coil form (ceramic or otherwise) you will also be making an inductor. Whether or not that will be bad for you ...... depends on the application.

If you don't want to reveal how it will be used, there is no guarantee that your wire version will work well for you.

what Optikon said is probably what I need - so thanks! The resistor isn't for anything - it's for a physics experiment and all I want are tips so I don't seem totally clueless. :)

Even Simpler: Take a piece of the lead from a Pencil. (Not Really Lead)
Cut it to a length that measures 5 ohms. (Probably about 1/4 inch long)

Gary

Regarding wire - consider wires made of different materials. Nichrome wire is a particularly high resistance wire that can run at relatively high temperatures. Also consider that resistance of materials will change with temperature - not of great significance sometimes but in some situations the change can be profound - a light bulb filament is one extreme example.

That resistance Varies because of the different ratios between Graphite and Clay, use to obtain Different intensities of darkness in the pencils.

More Graphite, Lower Resistance. More Clay, Higher Resisance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back