Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Making a remote LCD screen for a computer!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squiggles

Looking at some websites I have found diagrams and instructions on how to build an LCD screen to fit in your computer (instead of buying one). It is inexpensive and relatively simple, lots of wiring but no complicated circuits. I was wondering though, is it possible to convert the signal from the computer to transmit it (using radio rather than IR) to a remote LCD screen (also part of the build, not a bought part). If anyone has any ideas please help!

One site that explains the LCD for computer well is https://www.gideontech.com/guides/lcd/[/quote]

Squiggles said:
Looking at some websites I have found diagrams and instructions on how to build an LCD screen to fit in your computer (instead of buying one). It is inexpensive and relatively simple, lots of wiring but no complicated circuits. I was wondering though, is it possible to convert the signal from the computer to transmit it (using radio rather than IR) to a remote LCD screen (also part of the build, not a bought part). If anyone has any ideas please help!

One site that explains the LCD for computer well is https://www.gideontech.com/guides/lcd/

It's only a simple text LCD, so it's quite easy to transmit it using cheap licence free TX/RX modules. You could use a PIC at either end to interface between the PC serial port and transmitter, and the receiver and LCD module.

What do you want to use the remote screen for?.

I am thinking of building a remote control for my computer. I though that havinga display on the remote would save having the monitor on all the time and mean that I could use it while not in view of the monitor. But at present it is just an idea, trying to combine to things into one!

Squiggles said:
I am thinking of building a remote control for my computer. I though that havinga display on the remote would save having the monitor on all the time and mean that I could use it while not in view of the monitor. But at present it is just an idea, trying to combine to things into one!

Presumably you are aware that the LCD doesn't display the same thing as the monitor?.

It's only a small (4x20) text display, used to display short text messages.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Presumably you are aware that the LCD doesn't display the same thing as the monitor?.

It's only a small (4x20) text display, used to display short text messages.

I had realised that, I only want the display to show simple things. Such as track number/name from Winamp, etc. I will be using a downloaded program to run it, so there is a limit to what I will be using it for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back