Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Making a relay delay electronic board???

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloudkicker101

To whomever,
Hey there i am trying to make a timer delay relay board and cant get crap to work right. First let me tell you some information about this circuit so you can draw a picture in your head what needs to be done to make it work. First off this board has AC transformer ranging from 0-24v. I am trying to make a board that can control a 5 groups of lights that would all come on at different times. This circuit has a light with 12-24v lights.

group 1 say comes on in 30seconds

group 2 comes on in 80s

group 3 comes on in 130s

group 4 comes on in 180s

group 5 comes on in 230s

The purpose of this circuit is to make a group of street lights come on at different times in a line up. I have a average mind on electronics and have put some boards together that are simple. So I need a little help so i can make my idea work. I have tried to put it together before but ran into some problems. Any how i was thinking a switch would turn the the boards on which in turn lead to the lights. Now on the board i thought that 5 555timers would work to get the lights to come on at differnt times. A adjustable resistor would allow for how long it takes for the light to go on and a capacitor would allow for how long the light would stay on(about 8 hours). I was thinking of putting the board on the ground side of the wire so the board dont have 12-24v flowing through it to burn the board up, but not sure if that would work. Well if anyone has any ideas or knows of someone who could help with the idea that would be fantastic. I was also thinking of using a relay but would like if i could leave it out cause they are expensive lol. well anyhow post your ideas or thoughts that would be great. If anything i said dont make sense write me and i see if i can clearify what i said.

As far as research i found several different circuits that could work to what i think is what i want. I think the 555 timer sounds like it would work the best i currently have a test board and been trying to get the relay to work but that has been a total failure. Maybe i hooked it up wrong, i honestly dont know. I tried to find someone in my area to help me out, but its like no one knows. I think what i need is someone also with a test board that knows what they are doing to do the same on thier side and walk me through it or something. I want to say i understand the basics and maybe the way a few chips work but thats pretty much it. I never really made any circuits and could use the help. I have a dpdt relay and on my test circuit right it goes right through the whole circuit and kicks it right away, and no light power or anything. Heck im willing to do some real chat on a chat line if i need with someone that is willing to help. Heres some parts i got
Resistors 68ohms, 100ohm, 47k ohms, 10k ohms.
555 timer
dpdt relay
npn transistors
pnp transistors
100 uf capacitor 35v
diodes
let me know your email if you want too. Like i said anything would be helpful at this time.

Hey there i am trying to make a timer delay relay board and cant get crap to work right. First let me tell you some information about this circuit so you can draw a picture in your head what needs to be done to make it work.

I think I can speak for many in that we would rather see the circuit drawn out.

If you show us your circuit people will look at it and provide help.

Yes, I agree. A circuit would help us to understand what you're trying to do.

Do you want the Group 1 lights to go off when group 2 come on?

Do you have any knowledge of PICs?

How accurate does the timing have to be? A 555 and RC timing will only be approximate. Whereas a crystal controlled circuit (PIC based or otherwise) would be very accurate.

Can't you just use a PLC?

uploaded Picture

I have a attached file you can open to view a diagram i made. I made this Diagram with the help of a web site and some common knowledge, let me know if it makes sense to you. I did this with out a Relay I used a NPN Transistor in its place. I wrote down the web sites so you can see where I got my idea for this to work. It kinda makes sense to me, but as i said im not really quite to sure about it. If you read the paragraphs on the site you will see where i drew my conclusions on how i drew up the diagram. If its a dumb idea please redraw it and send it to my email address please Bof30002000@Yahoo.com. This is just for one timer. I figure make one work before trying to get many to work is my thoughts on this. I forgot to put a dc converter between the switch and the board. Here is the web site i got my idea from. I havent seemed to figure out though how i get the lights to come on with dc. I was thinking maybe 2 power souces one for the boards and one for the lights and maybe a relay or something would turn the light on to the other circuit to complete it or something.
www.kpsec.freeuk.com/555timer.htm#inputs
www.kpsec.freeuk.com/trancirc.htm#chip

Hey Ijcox I dont have that option to delete the thread whem i click edit. i see it on this particular thread but not the others.

Attachments

• board board diagram.JPG
    board board diagram.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:
The circuit you drew is an astable circuit meaning it will constantly switch on and off. From your description it seems you need a monostable circuit which will stay on after the delay period. If this is correct search for a 555 monostable.

cloudkicker101 said:
Hey ljcox I got an email saying i put a more then 1 thread on this issue. I cant figure out how to remove the other threads i started? How do i delete/remove them???
Choose Edit, then click on Delete message and then on Delete this message.

Hi,

I can't say I read the entire post, but I think I got the gist of it :D
By the sound of it, a 555 timer for each lamp would do, although you'd have to have a circuit for each lamp. If the lights are to turn on one after the other, at regular intervals (50 seconds, except the first was after 30 seconds) then a single 555 timer, in 'astable' mode producing a square wave with a 50 seconds period would do. That, connected to a shift register (with its serial input tied high, +V) would create a 'bargraph' type thing. Every time the 555 timer's output goes from low to high, the shift register will 'shift in' the serial input, which is '1' (+5V) and so light up the next lamp.

I know thats probably quite complicated for your project, but, two chips? Each relay would need a transistor to drive it as well, as logic chips cannot drive realys on their own. I believe some shift registers available have a 'clear' pin, which makes all the outputs 0, which I guess would be your reset to turn off all the lamps.

Just an idea, if you want more details just ask, there are plenty of ways to do this :D

Blueteeth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back