Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Making a headphone jack to usb cord for audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

kate023

Hi
I'm trying to make a cord that goes from a headphone jack to usb port so I can play music off my smartphone on my car stereo through its USB plug-in. I believe both cords are capable of carrying about 5V but I've heard that usb cords are slightly more complicated and I'm dealing with expensive equipment (my JVC car stereo and my smartphone) so thought I'd ask for some input before I did anything. Thanks.

Hi
I'm trying to make a cord that goes from a headphone jack to usb port so I can play music off my smartphone on my car stereo through its USB plug-in.
I don't think you can do that.
Do you want audio to pass through the USB cable?

Normally you would use a normal USB cable to your phone's USB socket and set the phone to mass storage device. The car stereo should then be able to read the files off the phone.

Yes, you can't connect a simple lead from a headphone jack to USB (complete and utterly different things), but the phones normal USB cable should allow you to play the music off of it, and should also display track names etc. on the radio display.

But FAR easier and more convenient to buy a micro USB drive, in fact I've just bought a micro USB adaptor that holds a micro SD card inside it :D Gives the same form factor as a micro USB drive.

Hi,

You can build or buy a audio to USB adapter but usually you have to use that with a computer which can load the driver properly and the computer understands what it has to do in order to meld it into the system audio devices. I seriously doubt that your stereo can do this.

That said, i agree that a USB stick is the better alternative as long as you can take the time to load the songs you want to listen to onto the USB drive before you go off on your expedition :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back