Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

making a ground plain in eagle

Status
Not open for further replies.

danrogers

hi all. Im trying to make a ground plain on a quick board im putting together.

Ive not used a schematic because its not really necessary. How do i create a gnd plain?

I guess i would need to add the value 'gnd' to the pins etc that i want grounded, then name the net i draw as 'gnd' also, would this work?

The problem i think is that im not sure how to add value for individual pins. When i click the value tool and click one the ic or the pin headers, it only allows me to add a value for the whole component?

thanks!

one other thing, when i made a gnd plain the other day on a board (with a schematic). i was getting isolation from the dimension layer ie: the outer perimeter of my board.

is there a way to have gnd plains right up to the edges and ignoring isolation from the dimension layer?

cheers

You mean plane not plain.

Plain means clear, simple, evident, easily understood.

Plane is a flat surface.

thanks for the english lesson ;) , i didnt really think about it as i typed it.

can you help me with these issues i'm having?

I have found that quick boards "where a schematic isn't necessary" still benefit from a schematic. Among other things, it gives me a check for wiring errors.

But if you really must do the board without a schematic then put a little trace on the ground pins and name them gnd. The plane will catch them.

[edit] To reduce isolation from dimension, set the value in Design Rules.

Last edited:
12. Making Gnd Plane
a. In the command line type "polygon VGND" then "enter" if that is the signal name.
b. Next surround the area with the polygon in the layer wanted. ie Top/Bottom etc.
c. Use isolate & spacing to set clearance around object holes not involved in signal.
d. Use "ratsnest" to veiw the polygon.
e. Cam job "gerb274x" will automatically output the polygon for a gerber veiwer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back