Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Make our community better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

demestav

Hello everybody.
I have been a member of this forum for sometime now. Personally it helps me a lot with many questions I have. Several times I saw questions being asked over and over and over again with the same answers. Most of the times is not so strange to do that, since by searching the forum you cannot get an accurate result on your question.
For this reason I think is a great idea to create an additional (parallel) community to this one where things will be a bit more tidy. Please to not rush and accuse me of advertising my site because I am not. I just like electronics as most of you, and I want to see our community improve.

What I had in mind is actually a wikipage. A wiki page is basically a page which is developed by its own visitors. A very successful example of a wikipage is the Wikipedia (google it) which is an encyclopaedia where the articles are added by its viewers.

Having such a site for the electronics community would be great. Imagine having all the resources of this forum into a categorised format, where each user can browse, read, learn and add information to every article.

Please to not rush and reject the idea. I repeat I am not doing this for my person profit at all. This is truly for the good of our community. Also it is not my intention to advertise any alternative website to this great forum. Not at all. The idea is to even retrieve information from this forum, tidy it up, make it a proper article and publish it. It could not take more than 10 minutes of our time.

I have already registered and created a site with some information and tutorials on how to add simple articles. However I don’t want to write it here before I hear your opinion, as I would hate to consider it as advertisement.

Thank you very much for reading, and please consider this.

The problem is that beginners and students will never consult a resource first. It is much easier for them to post the question and then check for a response.

Mike

upand_at_them said:
The problem is that beginners and students will never consult a resource first. It is much easier for them to post the question and then check for a response.

Not quite. It depends on the beginner. Personally if I am a beginner to a subject i would prefer to read some stuff and familiarise myself with the subject and then ask question.

I respect that what you are saying may be correct. However, as I wrote above, the new site will be additional to this one. I believe many people will find it helpful if the job is done in the right way.

Thank you for your opinion.

Yes it is a good idea as long as the people are happy to contribute. If none contributes then there is no point in a wiki site.
Anyway this is the purpose of this thread to find out whether people are willing to contribute.

Please keep in mind that we dont necessarily need to write articles from the scratch. We can just use this forum rich resources and copy and paste into a more presentable article which can be published in the correct category.

Thank you

Well I guess there is no interest by anybody. No wonder why, when this post with title "Make our community better" has only 108 hits...

demestav said:
Not quite. It depends on the beginner. Personally if I am a beginner to a subject i would prefer to read some stuff and familiarise myself with the subject and then ask question.
That makes you a "good" beginner then. But if you scroll through the posts, many beginners don't work that way.

Anyway, regarding your idea, there is a much easier avenue to achieve the same result. It's called Google. With any forums, including this one, it is always good practice to google first before creating a new post.

checkmate said:
Anyway, regarding your idea, there is a much easier avenue to achieve the same result. It's called Google. With any forums, including this one, it is always good practice to google first before creating a new post.

I respect your opinion and probaply most of people here agree with you. I just think that maybe you underestimate the power of a wiki site. Anyway. I will try and work on it myself, a bit later on and I maybe some people find it helpful.

Thank a lot for your opinions.

i agree on a wiki site that would be great! just think no posts like "HELP I NEED HELP ON A NEW ROBOT IM MAKING" or "WHAT IS A TRANSISTOR".
they just go to the wiki site and look. is a brill idea :wink:

Hey danielsmusic,
I am glad we agree. :D
However, as I said before the wiki concept, requires people willing to help. It takes more than two people to keep it up.

It would be much more efficient, when a thread is closed (the question is answered) the person who began the thread to post it as an article in the wiki. It would build a great site in just few days...

Hi damestav
your Idea is good
But consider this
The wiki site you are planning will be basically helpful for any newbie
and as far as I have seen on this forum most of the newbies generally bother to search on internet or this forum or anyother forum on their own first before posting any question here
So with a wiki site available I dont think they will search or bother to read that site too

And you are asking people to contribute articles but today almost all the information is available on internet So I think there is no point in writing that information again (or even copying and pasting it)

What's needed around here is a good F.A.Q. based on the information contained in past discussions.

If we could find someone willing to browse through the forums' past threads, and edit & reformat the good parts into nice F.A.Q.s, that'd be an awesome accomplishment.

It would be a nice place to send beginners to, especially the kind of newly registered members asking something like "my final year project is due in a month, I need to use PIC to send a terabyte of data into space, please anyone help!"

;)

instruite said:
The wiki site you are planning will be basically helpful for any newbie
and as far as I have seen on this forum most of the newbies generally bother to search on internet or this forum or anyother forum on their own first before posting any question here
But this is what i am talking about! There would not be a need to search anywhere if you can find lots of things in one place! Apart from that there are many posts which are repeated all the time. Also consider one more thing. When I am a beginner at something I dont even know how things are done to be able to ask even one question. If you go to a place and read about what you are interested and also some relevant subjects, its sure you will be much more informed than asking a simple question. Do you know what I mean?

Joel Rainvilee said:
What's needed around here is a good F.A.Q. based on the information contained in past discussions.

If we could find someone willing to browse through the forums' past threads, and edit & reformat the good parts into nice F.A.Q.s, that'd be an awesome accomplishment.

It would be a nice place to send beginners to, especially the kind of newly registered members asking something like "my final year project is due in a month, I need to use PIC to send a terabyte of data into space, please anyone help!"

Exactly my point! What a better way to do that, than a wiki site?

Anyway. I am posting the URL even if its not quite good at the moment. Go there and see how easy things can be 'tidy up' in nice articles. I have included some instructions on how to write in the site. Its very simple. Go and create a test article. Dont worry things can be deleted very easily. If anyone has any problems plz write here or you can also write at the FAQ of the site. Just edit the page! that is all it takes.

If any of you guys visiting the site spot any mistakes which you are willing to correct please do so! English is not my first language.
Thank you for reading and for your opinions.

URL: https://wikihost.org/wikis/digielec/

I think you are failing to see the light in the topic.
The obvious reasons for this is a lack of familiarity to wiki sites.
They always take off
People always end up helping and contributing.
We are not writing a book as such, at a wiki site, but rather we are simply addressing a question.
Remember how the threadstarter started his first post by saying stuff about repeated questions, and how we could organize potential or probable answers?
We dont need to make a library, there are many in each city... <maybe not>
Lastly, dont you realize that certain people already have. Nigels site is in a way...
But what truly is addressing the approached problem is the sticky Jay links to in his sig. About common questions to do with microcontrollers.
THIS IS A BRILLIANT IDEA!!!
If it merely had jays sticky to start it off, we could have now, until eternity only less than 10 wiki topics, and they would most certainly save many repeated questions and irritated mods etc.
And trust me, we would end up with sufficient quantities, even I could contribute there, I am good at putting stuff together...

Well done, brilliant idea...people get used to improvechanges... I think this is a brilliant idea, and I think that one should debate in ones self as to why it would be so and why <what little reason> it would not be, as with everything else one has an opinion of...

I think the best way for this to take off is to just do it. Don't wait for others' opinions and input. Write a few articles, post links to them when appropriate, and slowly people will visit and contribute...

Well Clyd3 I am glad that you see it in my point of view. :D

Joel Rainville said:
I think the best way for this to take off is to just do it. Don't wait for others' opinions and input. Write a few articles, post links to them when appropriate, and slowly people will visit and contribute...
I guess this is what i will do. I just wanted people to understand that this is not my site, but ours. This is the whole point.

Well then the site is officially open and you are all welcome, either you want to help or not.

The site is:
https://wikihost.org/wikis/digielec/programm/gebo.prg?name=start

Hi demestav,

Sounds good to me :) It will be really nice if you update the FAQ section of the page to add some information about adding new articles.

Thanks
- Dipal

dipal_z said:
Yeah found it sorry for the confusion.
No problem! Please let me know if you need any help. I am no expert but i may be able to help. I will update the whole thing, however i have to finish my thesis first. It grows slow, but we will get there...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back