Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Make a power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolrfid

For my project i have to use power supplies of +/-12v, +5V & +12v. Can i use a transformer & voltage regulator ICs to create this instead of using huge power supplies provided by college? Can u pls provide me the circuit diag for this?

Yes.

You will need an AC-AC wall adapter of at least 12VAC more would be better.

Use a voltage doubler type rectifier to get +/- ~15VDC. Use 7805, 7812, 7912, and 7812 to get +5, +12, -12, and a separate +12 in that order.

**broken link removed**

That is the basic circuit, except you will use the regulators to the +/- 12V as well as the other voltages. You can use multiple regulators on the unregulated + line to get multiple regulated positive voltages. It is also very safe as the AC-AC transformer is double insulated and low current.

The ggg project is missing the diodes (4 of them total) protecting the regulator.

But you need to consider the required current before you design anything. At 50-100 mA, these designs are pretty good, but much higher and you've got to do some math.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back