Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Major Project...Data Transmission on PC(RS-232) via Laser

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashurbk

:D I m Final year engg. student & have been given a project on data transmission Wirelessly over two PC's.
I intend to use a laser beam for this.......

Please suggest me something to find the required files for H/W & S/W for this...

Also suggest me if this would ve safe.... I mean wouldn't the laser used harm anybody.....

Thanks in advance............ :oops:

Re: Major Project...Data Transmission on PC(RS-232) via Lase

ashurbk said:
Also suggest me if this would ve safe.... I mean wouldn't the laser used harm anybody.....

I suggest you check the relevent laws about it, even the laser diodes in a CD player are certified as class 1 laser devices!.

It seems a completely bizarre thing to want to do?, it's only line of sight (anything in the way will stop the beam) - existing IR communications will do much the same, or an existing radio link will be better.

Nigel Goodwin said:
ashurbk said:
I suggest you check the relevent laws about it, even the laser diodes in a CD player are certified as class 1 laser devices!.

It seems a completely bizarre thing to want to do?, it's only line of sight (anything in the way will stop the beam) - existing IR communications will do much the same, or an existing radio link will be better.

Thanks for this info....
Now in the mean time i have checked out few details about this...

"They say that The laser used can be of dangerous nature if some1 tries to view inside them." It can even make them blind. (idea behind my question was that would it be a complex LASER or a simple pointer LASER available in the market which is Harmless Because i also know that those complex LASERS cause "CANCER" for somebody coming in line of track.)

Now please Guide me to somewhere from which i can extract some good info for this project.............

Thanx :oops:

ashurbk said:
a simple pointer LASER available in the market which is Harmless

Laser pointers aren't harmless, they can cause eye damage as well!.

If you really want to do it this way, then you first need to find a suitable laser (bearing in mind that YOU will be legally liable for any injuries that may occur!) that you can modulate in some way.

Nigel Goodwin said:

If you really want to do it this way, then you first need to find a suitable laser (bearing in mind that YOU will be legally liable for any injuries that may occur!) that you can modulate in some way.

Ok pls check this out fo me. If u can guide me....

would it b feasable?????????

http://www.alphalink.com.au/~derkw/tcvrwin.htm

ashurbk said:
Nigel Goodwin said:

Ok pls check this out fo me. If u can guide me....

would it b feasable?????????

http://www.alphalink.com.au/~derkw/tcvrwin.htm

CHECK OUT THIS 1 IF LAST DOESN'T WORK :

Nigel Goodwin said:
ashurbk said:

But i have heard about LOS data txion systems using laser , which are installed over tall buildings in cities , to avoid trenching .

Thanks for the support.

But, tell me if u can help me find the data for its software as those ppl r giving their windows made software where as i wanna use some techy looking C or C++ coded software that can be shown at the university............................

Thanks in Advance................

:oops: :D :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :D :oops:

ashurbk said:
Thanks for the support.

But, tell me if u can help me find the data for its software as those ppl r giving their windows made software where as i wanna use some techy looking C or C++ coded software that can be shown at the university............................

I was under the impression this was supposed to be YOUR project?.

If you download all the circuits, and download all the software, what have YOU contributed to the project?.

There wasn't internet when I learned stuff and designed my own projects at school. Even the library books had a long list of people waiting for them. Did I learn the hard way?

ashurbk said:
"They say that The laser used can be of dangerous nature if some1 tries to view inside them." It can even make them blind. (idea behind my question was that would it be a complex LASER or a simple pointer LASER available in the market which is Harmless Because i also know that those complex LASERS cause "CANCER" for somebody coming in line of track.)

I don't know what a "complex laser" is referring to, but lasers don't cause cancer. It's just light. It can burn your eye if you look directly into the beam. For very powerful lasers it can burn the skin. The 5mW red ones (visible) generally would not cause damage unless you stared into them. It requires careful focusing and alignment of the receiver and transmitter to make this work over long distances. And keep in mind that even a concrete building expands and contracts slightly as temps change over the course of a day.

The concept is quite simple with a laser diode, a simple laser pointer can potentially do it. Just use a MAX232 to get a 0/5v signal out of the computer's serial port, transmit, make a receiver that outputs 0/5v and feed that through another MAX232 to get a voltage compatible with RS232 spec. The only mildly complicated part is getting a receiver component and building a bit of filtering to get the noise out of it and decide what's a high and low level.

Simple HyperTerminal can be used to send and receive from your computer's serial port. In windows just do "Run", type "hypertrm". Bam, serial port access.

Like mentioned above, there are plenty of pages with people making simple laser pointer transcievers. Generally they can't transmit very quickly because the simple laser pointer diodes are just too simple.

As for software, like also mentioned above, it's just serial data being transmitted. There's no software needed other than any terminal program that will allow you to talk to your serial port e.g. HyperTerminal.

I have no idea how you would turn all this into a final year eng. project, cuz I don't think the complexity is high enough.

there are chips out there designed to modulate an IR led, and enable RS232 style signalling over an IR transmission - look into IRDA transceivers - such chips could also modulate a visible (or IR) LED laser diode

the hard part is in the optics of both the transmitter and the receiver - being able to detect and collect a sufficient amount of the beam over a considerable distance (maybe start at 1m and work to 1km)

the electronics themselves aren't a big deal, assuming you don't want some absurd data rate (think gigabit optical canon)

If it's a senior project for a BSEE, it should be at least a little bit complicated...

Maybe you could make two laser (or just IR LED) transceivers, with multiplexing circuitry attached to them so that it's transparent to the two ports (ie, all 9 pins are "connected", using only one beam in each direction).

I would start by googling "EIA232 standard", and finding out what it would take to "connect" the ports. Then, you can rough out a design and locate parts with specs that are compatible with your needs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back