Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Major Opps with a knife

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryan1

G'day Guys,
This weekend I've been hooking up the in-direct mains to the shade house and installing piping for micro sprays. Anyways I was installing a tee-piece at the tank outlet and cutting a 3/4" poly pipe when the knife slipped and went into my arm. Luckily I had a small first aid kit in the shed and ripped open the big gauze pad and luckily found it went around my forearm twice so I could stem the bleeding. As I was the only one home I wrapped the gauze pad with some duct tape then drove to the hospital. After the quack had cleaned up the wound and gave the wound some local she put her finger in to feel the bone and found a ridge, so the xray guy was called in and my arm was xrayed. No signs of the knife going into the bone was seen so I got 10 stitch's to close the wound up. The xray guy said the images are in our head office and we'll have a real good look to see if any damage was done and if so be prepared for a hospital visit. All my fingers and thumb moved OK so it doesn't look like I severed any tendons. I was told to check on the wound twice a day and any signs of oozing or colour change to get in and see my local quack ASAP.

I rang my boss at work and said I'm having atleast 2 days off due to my injury and he said it's only your right arm you can still work. I told him I'll give you a ring after I've seen my quack on Tuesday and we'll go from there.

I did know the knife was getting blunt but with only a few more cuts to go I said she'll be right mate, next thing ya know Murphy popped his head in and went away laughing.

Anyway got a slab of pale ale here for pain relief and I'm on antibiotics so the next few weeks my right arm is going to be bloody painfull and just hope no infection gets in.

Cheers Bryan ( back to one hand typonese)

Infection will be your chief concern, keep it clean and take all your biotics... all of them.:)

Hope you stay well...

Last edited:
G'day Bryan,
Cant leave you alone for a minute....:rolleyes:

Are you keeping a tally for the past years accidents.?

Get well.

Eric

I wrapped the gauze pad with some duct tape then drove to the hospital.

Now that reflects total class! The duct tape being a nice touch. :)

Keep it clean and check on it just as the "quacks" told you to do. Yes, the risk of infection exist and if it gets infected you will have a real nightmare.

Take Care
Ron

Just tell everyone you where defending an old lady at a bar and you got into a knife fight!

If anyone asks you why and old lady was at bar tell them any old lady that gets into a knife fights gets to go where ever she wants! ;)

I got stabbed in the hand when I was in my teens by a dumb friend showing me how sharp his new knife was. Fortunately his mom was a registered nurse so it was an easy fix for her. More importantly I learned why village idiots do not make trustworthy friends. :eek:

Looks like you lucked out Bryan, did it go through muscle? Years ago I tried to catch a steak knife I dropped doing dishes and ended up with it blade first 1/2 an inch into that big muscle structure at the base of the thumb on the palm, nothing compared to yours, but I remember it ached for months after it healed up because of the muscle damage.

Something I remember from an injury I had to my hand: If they tell you to put antibiotic ointment on the wound, only do so for the first couple of days or so; after that, let it be. They didn't tell me this when I injured my hand (fingers, actually), and my skin didn't close up properly around the stitches due to the petroleum jelly in the ointment not allowing it. So, while I didn't have any infection, I also didn't have proper healing. Good luck, and feel better.

Oh, and BTW - always remember that a dull knife is a very dangerous thing; whether in the "workshop" or the kitchen. Something else about your story; I had the same kind of reaction when I injured my hand - I thought to myself "oh, I can get this fine - no need for the gloves". Next thing I knew, I had a set of torn and bleeding fingers, and a trip to the emergency room. I've learned to heed that voice in my head better...

:D

My two nasties were when I was probably somewhere between 12 and 18 YO. I did describe 3.

A chain saw nick due to kickback. No stitches. Took care of it myself. No issues. Just a really ragged cut. Now I know what kickback is and how to prevent it. One way, of course, is a sharp edge.

The other one a squish. I pinched my pinky with a hammer when removing the E/I laminations when scrapping a transformer. I spilled my guts through a gash about 1" long. The scar is barely still visible some 40+ years later.

One of my others, was I was making a large contour cutting bit for a lathe and the file slipped and my finger got cut from the nice sharp tool.

You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a bandaid on stupid, because Bandaids won't stick to Teflon.

Oh, BTW. Ouch. Hope you feel better soon.

Last edited:
A chain saw nick due to kickback. No stitches. Took care of it myself. No issues. Just a really ragged cut. Now I know what kickback is and how to prevent it. One way, of course, is a sharp edge.

I've never experienced "kickback" despite lots of tree trimming with a chanisaw. My trick is to never have the end of the saw embedded in the wood, but I don't know if that's a false security. When I bought my chainsaw, the manual said never use it to trim tree branches, but I've always use it that way. The thing scraes me to death, and so far so good. I guess I'll get into trouble when I cease being scared of it.

Last edited:
Well said Brownout.
The thing scraes me to death, and so far so good. I guess I'll get into trouble when I cease being scared of it.

I would however lean towards respect rather than fear.

We always use long, thick leather gloves when using our chainsaws. ALWAYS check for proper tension on the chain.

Injuries for me?

-Drilling 1/8" hole through muscle between base of thumb and index finger.
-Smooshing end of finger with log in a log splitter. (22 Ton force!)

A friend of mine was uning a log splitter when a big knot broke off and smashed him in the face, breaking his nose. I'd only use one of those things if I had one of those hockey masks.

I don't think you're supposed to stare at them when they're operating BrownOut =) A face shield is a good choice though, they're cheap and offer a huge amount of safety.

So how exactly do you accidentally stab yourself in the arm to the bone with a blunt knife?:confused:

I have got myself a few times with razor blades that went right through cheap cloth gloves but so far self stabbings with a blunt object are still out of my range of clumsiness. :eek:

Inquiring minds want to know.

Glad you didn't do any nerve damage though. I hear those phantom flies that start crawling around afterward can drive a guy nuts! :)

I don't think you're supposed to stare at them when they're operating BrownOut =) A face shield is a good choice though, they're cheap and offer a huge amount of safety.

According to what he told me, the log was narly and full of knots. It just sort of ruptured, and a hard shard of wood flew out at pretty high velocity, smashing him in the face.

Last edited:
My father taught me about chainsaw kickbacks.. SO, i respect(and fear) them.

A buddy of his had fell a tree, and they were cording it out (cutting it up to sell by the cord (chord ? ) He usually cut from the bottom up through the logs. A particular log was hanging over another, so once he got so far, it pinched the blade. He freed it and decided to finish off the last 2 or so inches from the top down.

Now this is 4 or 5 hours into cutting up this tree and operating this chain saw. 2 blade replacements, oiling, and fueling.

He was apparently so comfortable, and used to the upward pull, that he "helped" the chainsaw into his face when it kicked back from a knot.

Now they say He knows no nose.

Engineers are soooo funny. ;)

G'day Guy's,
Just took the bandage off to change the dressing so heres a pic as requested by the guys in chat.

arm.jpg

Cheers Bryan

Glad to see that stitches done pretty neatly bryan.

Last week I got a alligator clip 'clipped' on to the finger :) its a nice feeling, and much wider than I expected..try :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back