Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Major Career Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryan1

G'day Guy's,
Well after working as a Fitter/Welder/Machinist since I was 16 I did feel it was time for me to do a TAFE course in teaching so I can pass on my knowledge to the younger generations. After talking with a teacher today and mentioning how I was wanting to do an information night locally 'on living off the grid'. Now once I told him the experience I have learnt and the research I have done he has recommended me to do Renewable Energy as my major subject with Mechanical Trades as another subject.

Now with my learning experience with electronics with my off grid experience I do feel this career change will be the best thing I've ever done.

For years I have worked as a Fitter/Welder/Machinist and one thing I do want to do is pass on everything I have learnt to the young kids of today.

Regards Bryan

Good for you Bryan. Hope you find it both rewarding and fun. Passing on knowledge is always a good thing.

Mike.

G'day Guy's,
Well after working as a Fitter/Welder/Machinist since I was 16 I did feel it was time for me to do a TAFE course in teaching so I can pass on my knowledge to the younger generations. After talking with a teacher today and mentioning how I was wanting to do an information night locally 'on living off the grid'. Now once I told him the experience I have learnt and the research I have done he has recommended me to do Renewable Energy as my major subject with Mechanical Trades as another subject.

Now with my learning experience with electronics with my off grid experience I do feel this career change will be the best thing I've ever done.

For years I have worked as a Fitter/Welder/Machinist and one thing I do want to do is pass on everything I have learnt to the young kids of today.

Regards Bryan

Hi Bryan

Passing on knowledge that you have accumulated over years of hard work/ trial and error/experience is one of the greatest gifts you can possibly share with others out there. A practical hands on working environment is impossible to replicate with only theory.

Ideally, one needs a balance of both...

Many would rather keep that info for themselves.

I think like you though and would rather share my stuff... As long as it's accurate info that I am sharing :D
Otherwise, I leave alone and walk away. Don't want to make a fool of myself here. By trying to be clever and all.

Heck, we have people here who know it all...but don't talk or brag about it. They have nothing to prove.

I like smart people that think like that. I want to be smart one day too :D

One day, I will get there.

Stay well friend
tvtech

Last edited:
I went from engineering to EMT/firefighter. I got bored with engineering.

Congratulations there Bryan. I also am looking at a major career change, I will be leaving the engineering that has put beanies and weenies on the table my entire life and trying retirement. :) Well, OK a few more years but I am trying to slowly back down on billing hours and ease away from the everyday routine. Fewer trips to the plant and more time on the rifle range. Fresh air!

Ron

G'day Guy's,
Well the TAFE course starts next Monday and as yet still no info on the course. Now earlier this week I saw a notice on the local shop board for a job fixing bathrooms so gave the guy a ring. Anyway started with him today and it does look like an interesting job or should I say working as a sub contractor.
The work entails totally restoring bathrooms and kitchens for a much cheaper cost then replacement. It does figure my first job is warranty work from a previous subbie who did shonky work. Well as my mate said this is the first and hopefully the last one and after the first day he's pretty happy with me so this new path is surely going to better than being treated like a number in the trade and working for peanuts in the process.
With 4 months of work already lined up it won't take me too long to learn all the tricks and then I'll be doing refits on my own and earning the $$$$ to suit.

Also I'll still have time in the evenings to work on this teaching course in a better frame of mind.

Cheers Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back