Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mains PWM Light Dimmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

davepusey

I need to build a PWM Light Dimmer that dims my mains (244V 50Hz) lights to a fixed setting of 15.8% brightness (when logic input is 1) and 100% brightness (when logic input is 0). Can anyone help me with a circuit please.

davepusey said:
I need to build a PWM Light Dimmer that dims my mains (244V 50Hz) lights to a fixed setting of 15.8% brightness (when logic input is 1) and 100% brightness (when logic input is 0). Can anyone help me with a circuit please.

You don't use PWM for dimming AC, that's for DC power control. You use use 'phase control', this consists of detecting the zero-crossing point of the mains and then turning the triac (or SCR with a bridge rectifier) ON at the point in the mains cycle to give the brightness you require. This fast switching can cause considerable interference, and it's important to filter the mains into the dimmer.

Ok then. So how do i do all this?

EDIT: Even better would be a circuit for a 38.5V AC supply as that will dim my lights to 15.8% brightness just the same.

Yes. But if You need to hold the exact brightness, need some feedback from light (with LDR or photodiode), so the voltage must be variable, depending from mains voltage and the really brightness. You can do this with Nigel's method or a transductor. (this was before the semiconductor solutions...)

well, then i agree with nigel, just get a transformer...
you could use a relay to choose between the transformer, or feed the lamp directly (for your 0 - 1 input)

davepusey said:
Exo said:
well, then i agree with nigel, just get a transformer...

Yes, but is isnt a transformer that i know of that takes 240V in and give 38.5V out.

40V or 35V would be plenty accurate enough!.

Or just buy a light dimmer, they cost very little and are freely available at any DIY store - simple switch it in and out of circuit, and preset it to the brightness you want.

How did you dim the light to get the 38.5V reading - I'm assuming you used a dimmer for that?. It's also fairly likely that your meter read completely wrong - unless it's a true RMS meter, in which it will be clearly marked as such. Conventional meters read the 'average' voltage, with the scale calibrated for a sinewave input, anything else will read incorrectly.

gerty said:
How about a Vari-ac (variable transformer) you can dial in whatever voltage you want. :D

Yeah but they are really expensive any really chunky. See **broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back