Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mains powered SMPS filter cap voltage value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

diy didi

Good day
I have a SMPS power supply that I'm repairing. After the Bridge rectifier there is a 82uF 400V capacitor.
Can I use a 350V capacitor? Why the 400V capacitor?
Rectifier voltage with a good capacitor measures 320V DC. Our mains is 230V AC at 50Hz.
Hopefully someone here can shed some light.
Thanks.

The voltage is mostly a question of "what you can get" and physical size, and a 350V will be fine - in fact you commonly see both 350V and 400V used.

Obviously depending on the reliability of your electrical supply, a 400V one would give a greater range for mains errors.

Is your mains actually 230?, or is it just nominally 230? - the UK stayed on 240, and the rest of Europe on 220, although all are 'nominally' 230. The 230V rating is for equipment, not the actual mains voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back