Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

mains /220v / led monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you want to monitor?

Analogue or digital monitoring? Accuracy? What is the LED supposed to show?

A cheap DMM is the simplest solution.

Search for "CR2550 current transformer". There a number of this type of current monitors.
Is this what you are looking for?

For monitoring voltage I usually use a resistor that is sized to limit current. (220V makes 10mA or 5mA for the LED) Many resistors can not take 220V so it is good to use 2 or more resistors to limit the voltage to 150 volts per resistor.

Most LEDs are not happy with reverse voltage. I usually place a small diode. 1N4148 across the LED so current in one direction does through the LED and the reverse current goes through the 1N4148.

The other option is to use a high voltage diode like a 1N4007 to block the reverse current. This uses 1/2 the power in the resistors.

Maybe you want to monitor the current and voltage with a micro. In this case isolation is very important. I use a opto-isolator in place of the LED in the above examples.

Attachments

• CR2550-R.JPG
    CR2550-R.JPG
    213.4 KB · Views: 166
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back