Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mainly uk TV question

Status
Not open for further replies.

large_ghostman

Most Helpful Member
I had an idea for dad to test some water heaters in the summer, its all part of the eco project thing. I cant find the video now but, on you tube there is a video, it shows a old (10-15 years) TV being taken apart, inside is a huge center focusing frenzel lense, and a bank of 3 other lenses, I dont know what the TV type is called. But I dont ever remember seeing anything like it in the uk. So do any of the UK TV people know if we have had this kind of TV in the uk? if so any idea what it was called? We would like to get hold of a couple of the huge lenses.
I will try and find the video again

found it!!!! a rear projection TV
Have we had this type of TV in the uk? We are not really a tv family, we went from a very old crt tv five years ago to a lcd one, we have never had plasma etc as we dont watch much TV.

So what we are after is a frenzel spot lense not linear frenzel lens. Apparently some TV's had them, does anyone know which TV's had/have the spot version of the lens?

It was called a "projection" TV. It had 3 small TV screens (red, green and blue) shining on the lens that mixed the colours and made the picture bigger.
If you find a lens then you must move it to follow the sun left and right and up and down during each day.

Did you know that millions of stupid Americans belief that the earth stays still and the sun and moon go around the earth?

Incredible web site, LG. I'm making myself a spot welder!

Incredible web site, LG. I'm making myself a spot welder!
LOL yeah some good stuff on there! he dosnt mention being careful with beryllium etc though.
Some great projects all the same! I have been looking at solar trackers, it dosnt seem to hard

So what we are after is a frenzel spot lense not linear frenzel lens. Apparently some TV's had them, does anyone know which TV's had/have the spot version of the lens?

You'll be doing well to find one, most were scrapped long ago - they weren't ever very good TV's, pretty poor pictures on them.

As I understand it they were FAR more popular in America?, with a desire for large screens (regardless of picture quality).

Most in the UK (and numbers weren't large) were used in pubs and clubs etc.

You'll be doing well to find one, most were scrapped long ago - they weren't ever very good TV's, pretty poor pictures on them.

As I understand it they were FAR more popular in America?, with a desire for large screens (regardless of picture quality).

Most in the UK (and numbers weren't large) were used in pubs and clubs etc.
Dad had no idea they even existed!! When he read the bit about pubs and clubs he has vague memories of them. But does definitely look like it was mostly a non starter here, shame though as they look way cool lenses :D

Dad had no idea they even existed!! When he read the bit about pubs and clubs he has vague memories of them. But does definitely look like it was mostly a non starter here, shame though as they look way cool lenses :D

They were a pain in the bum!! :p

Pubs were nasty smelly smoke filled places, just the right environment for something that relies on clean optical systems to work :D

They kind of look like old data projectors on the inside. I would love to see a working one, did they just project the image onto the screen?

They kind of look like old data projectors on the inside. I would love to see a working one, did they just project the image onto the screen?

Yes, they had three small (VERY bright) tubes, with red, blue and green filters in front of them - next were some nice lens which focused the images onto the rear of the screen via a mirror at the back of the cabinet (so the tubes faced rearwards).

Needless to say they were a nightmare to setup, as you had to carefully adjust the three images to try and get them to align with each other as well as possible.

The tube/lens assemblies were also full of fluid, presumably to keep them cool?.

The three little CRT screens inside a rear-projection TV were blasting very bright light at the lens which made them very hot. So they were liquid-cooled with some kind of clear oil. My son had one for a while when his neighbour threw it away. Now my son has a huge front-projection TV that shines its high-definition images on a rollup screen.

Those lenses look expensive!! clever concept but I can see why it moved on :D, what kind of power did the first colour TV's use? Dad says there were so bad they were called curtain burners! He said as a kid you had the fire on or the TV but not both lol. Man he is old!
our TV uses 130W and its pretty big. I found out our kettle is a real hog 9KW!!!! What a waste.

Those lenses look expensive!! clever concept but I can see why it moved on :D, what kind of power did the first colour TV's use? Dad says there were so bad they were called curtain burners! He said as a kid you had the fire on or the TV but not both lol. Man he is old!
our TV uses 130W and its pretty big. I found out our kettle is a real hog 9KW!!!! What a waste.

Kettles are only 3KW, with most newer ones only been 2.4KW - 3KW is the most you can get from a UK 13A plug (and the 2.4KW restriction is for pan-European limitations).

Anything larger than 3KW (such as a cooker or shower) has to be wired directly to the fusebox on it's own circuit with thicker wire than the normal 2.5mm used for sockets, it used to be 6mm, but 10mm is becoming common for larger showers.

One of the early colour sets, the Philips G6, used so many valves the series heater chain was directly across the 240V mains - normally you had a large 'ballast' resistor to drop the difference - so that was 300mA consumed just for the valve heaters.

But the highest consumption sets were probably only 500W or so?.

Kettles are only 3KW, with most newer ones only been 2.4KW - 3KW is the most you can get from a UK 13A plug (and the 2.4KW restriction is for pan-European limitations).

Anything larger than 3KW (such as a cooker or shower) has to be wired directly to the fusebox on it's own circuit with thicker wire than the normal 2.5mm used for sockets, it used to be 6mm, but 10mm is becoming common for larger showers.

One of the early colour sets, the Philips G6, used so many valves the series heater chain was directly across the 240V mains - normally you had a large 'ballast' resistor to drop the difference - so that was 300mA consumed just for the valve heaters.

But the highest consumption sets were probably only 500W or so?.

OOPPPS sorry 2.9KW! is a kenwood fast boil. No idea about TV's My gran had a very old colour TV it weighed a ton!!! tiny round screen lol, the colour looked like my sister did it with crayons :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back