Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

magnets and movement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electronman

Hi,

I have 4 of these cylinder magnets and want to see if I can make a model bike or car and use them as tires, and make them to move on a current carrying wire ( or a rail like wire)? can a current carrying wire does help?

I doubt you can make your magnet spin using a current. Their N and S poles are probably at each end of the cylinder. You might be able to make them move back and forth along the axis of the cylinder, then use a spiral cut axle to make them spin.

On the othe hand, if you had rings of magnets where the N ends were facing inwards on half of the ring, and the S ends were facing inwards on the other half, then you might by able to make them spin. You'd be better off using a couple permanent magnent motors and making the output shafts the axles.

Last edited:
No it's not a stupid question. But most cylindrical magnets are radially aligned so it wouldn't be very useful, you'd need one that has one (or more) poles parallel to the cylinders curved surface not it's ends. Such magnets are not common at all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back