Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Magnets and Electromagnets [Deleted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectroMaster

Administrator
ElectroMaster submitted a new article:

Magnets and Electromagnets - Magnets and electromagnets have many uses, every electric motor, generator or transformer requires

Magnets and electromagnets have many uses, every electric motor, generator or transformer requires a magnetic field for it's operation. With the exception of a few special types, all use electromagnets. The magnets mounted on large cranes are used to lift heavy loads. Magnetism makes the generator supplying the electricity to your home work and the radio, telephone and most other electrical gadgets work.

The properties of Magnetism were known to the Greeks as early as 700 B.C. It was found...

Read more about this article...

Here's an interesting thing to do. If you ever need to magnetize your screwdriver a little bit (to hold a steel screw, for instance), take the screwdriver, and using a hammer, pound the handle of the screwdriver while pointing it toward the magnetic north or south. Do it a few times. This will impart a slight magnetism to the screwdriver itself. I recall doing this as a kid; IIRC, the "shock" of hitting the screwdriver with the hammer re-aligns the ferrous molecules or something to make more of them point in the proper direction (part of me thinks that's BS, though - I am not really sure why it works). To de-magnetise it, heat up the screwdriver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back