Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Magnetic Wire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, no single wire type is the best at every application. Special applications do best with specially designed wire types.

I sure got tired of manually using 30 gauge wire wrap as a field service engineer in the 70s, that stuff is tuff to strip and using a manual unwrapping and wrapping tool takes some time to master. The factory guys had the special electric strippers/wrappers/unwrappers but I had a couple of 6" straight tools and a special stripper, poor lighting and sore back and knees. :rolleyes:

Lefty

Last edited:
In what way ?

I already said it: You can solder it without striping it first, yet the insulation is very tough, abrasion resistant, and good to 270degF. You can cross two wires without the risk of a short. I have a 1/2lb spool of the Belden 8054, and have made dozens of hand-wired breadboards with it.

The wire-wrap wire I have used has a thermoplastic insulation that is easily damaged, and a crossover can extrude the insulation to cause a short if either wire is heated within a half inch of the crossover.

Attachments

• Belden.jpg
    Belden.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
The insulation is very tough, and is not damaged with just a touch of the soldering iron like that mickey-mouse thermoplastic tie-wrap wire...

Use the Tefzel coated wire wrap wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back