Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Magnetic path length for a ferrite drum core.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr pepper

Most Helpful Member
As some will know I've been messing with drum cores.
How do I work out approximately the magnetic path length for a drum core, I need to work out an approximate saturation flux level for my particular core (I only have al factor and bsat parameters nothing else).
Do I assume that the core has enclosed sides or is the path length 2 x each 'C' section.
(the former looks like a cotton reel having 2 'C's back to back cross sectional view).
I dont know permeability so I'm not able just to stick on 10 turns make some electrical measurements and calculate path length.

Last edited:
2 unknowns needs two equations... you could do multiple turns and multiple measurements and then calculate both path length and perm.

I could go about this a different way, instead of working out how many turns brings me close to saturation at a given current I can work out how many turns brings me close to saturation at a given voltage by rearranging faradays law.

This isnt so difficult, but it wouldnt help much if I was designing a dc inductor (which I'm not I'm designing a transformer), and I'd like to know how to measure path length.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back